1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

LOL!!!my chooks are soooo funny!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Justino, Jan 26, 2008.

1. Justino

Justino ♪♫ Rockin' Rooster ♪♫

Dec 21, 2007
    KY
    everyday they chase wild birds, squirls, and even my cat and dog around the yard!!! are chickens super territorial? i think its hilarious!!!

2. Crazy4Chicks

Crazy4Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2007
    Glendale, AZ
    I think mine do it as a game LOL the ducks bowl is in the yard near the pool and the little birds love to steal as much as they can before the ducks notice them.
    the chickens food is inside thier coop and those little birds either brave or stupid will go in the coop and help themselves but the chickens will chase them all over the place !!!
    I did have the chicken bowl in the yard with them, but the birds were so bad that - they were eating all the food but the chickens would wait till there was around 20-30 and all of a sudden charge the little birds and scare the crap out of them -- way to funny to watch ( and it gives the chickens something to do )

Julie

Last edited: Jan 26, 2008
  3. rosyposyosy

rosyposyosy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2007
    my EE chases the wild birds, and even flys into trees with them just to show them it's HER tree.
    my BR chases off my dog.
    And both of them together follow anything that moves, which bugs me, since they also follow cats (but they don't attack)

4. GoodEgg

GoodEgg Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    NW Florida
    Mine chase cats that don't belong in the yard (and so far, the cats have been terrified!) but leave my two cats alone 99% of the time.

My RIR's and red sex-links will give the pup a hard time though. If I fuss at him, they run up to him and kind of face off, and will peck his nose if he doesn't walk away from them.

They are funny. [​IMG])

(Now the stupid drakes are another story ... they aggressively CHASE the dog, who thinks it's a great game ... they are going to ruin all my training of teaching the pup NOT to chase chickens or ducks!)

trish

5. skatcatla

skatcatla Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2007
    Oh yes. They will chase squirrels and crows with glee. Normally they ignore the dog but if she gets a bit too "friendly" she'll get a good peck on the nose. I always cheer them on. [​IMG]

6. TheMartianChick

TheMartianChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Deleted... I posted it in the wrong topic! I must need some caffeine...[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 28, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by