Lone silkie. Want to add Bluebells

Sicin Sasta

Hatching
Mar 7, 2023
My little flock is down to one silkie. She's a lovely, sweet little lady but I feel she's rather lonely. We bring her in during the day for cuddles and to let her wander in the kitchen while I'm cooking but I've a dog and Maine Coons so it's all a delicate balancing act of spending time with her while keeping her safe.

I've been looking at getting 2 or 3 bluebell hens to keep her company. She'll potter in the garden if I'm out there but on days where I don't have time, she just stays in her roost so I feel she's depressed and lonely.

My question is, should I introduce new hens? I don't want to get any more silkies as they aren't great layers and I want bigger chickens that can stand up to my local predators (mostly cats).

Yes she is most likely depressed and yes definitely get more hens. Remember to do a look don’t touch period where she can see the new hens at all times, but no one can get at each tour.

My question is, should I introduce new hens?
Welcome to BYC! :frow

I'd introduce new chicks so she can rule the roost.. adding new mature hens *might* make for a bullying situation.

Also bringing in mature birds from another property could possibly bring in other avian illness which may not have presented any symptoms yet at their original home.

You could also rehome her.. if you're just done with chickens. Bullying in another flock can be avoided or minimized with proper introduction technique.

:fl

Yes she is most likely depressed and yes definitely get more hens. Remember to do a look don’t touch period where she can see the new hens at all times, but no one can get at each tour.
Thanks for your reply. I was thinking a week of no touch, would that be sufficient?

Welcome to BYC! :frow

I'd introduce new chicks so she can rule the roost.. adding new mature hens *might* make for a bullying situation.

Also bringing in mature birds from another property could possibly bring in other avian illness which may not have presented any symptoms yet at their original home.

You could also rehome her.. if you're just done with chickens. Bullying in another flock can be avoided or minimized with proper introduction technique.

:fl
Thanks for the welcome!!!

I really do want more chickens and don’t want to rehome her as I love her so much. She’s the sweetest little thing. I’m just so torn between giving her company but with the risk of bullying or just leaving her sad. It’s so hard to know 😣

Adding chicks would be a great idea but she’s not very maternal. (Lays and legs it!). Also, I can’t run the risk of chicks being roosters as I have very close neighbours. I got Barnavelder chicks before who turned out to be roosters. Not happy neighbours!!! Had to rehome them. ☹️

My little flock is down to one silkie. She's a lovely, sweet little lady but I feel she's rather lonely. We bring her in during the day for cuddles and to let her wander in the kitchen while I'm cooking but I've a dog and Maine Coons so it's all a delicate balancing act of spending time with her while keeping her safe.

I've been looking at getting 2 or 3 bluebell hens to keep her company. She'll potter in the garden if I'm out there but on days where I don't have time, she just stays in her roost so I feel she's depressed and lonely.

My question is, should I introduce new hens? I don't want to get any more silkies as they aren't great layers and I want bigger chickens that can stand up to my local predators (mostly cats).
Hi! We have a male sikie whos been babied all his life, and we're lookibg for someone who'd like to have him as a pet. I think he'd be perfect for you. If your interested contact me at 208-850-0518

don’t want to rehome her as I love her so much. She’s the sweetest little thing. I’m just so torn between giving her company but with the risk of bullying or just leaving her sad. It’s so hard to know 😣
Rehome her to someone with Silkies as I think this would be in her best interest.

Back
Top Bottom