Lonely chick?

MeredithKong

Hatching
Aug 1, 2016
My husband and I are new chicken-ing. We rescued two bantams a couple months ago, then bought a black autralorp chick about a month ago. We've been keeping her indoors til she's big enough, but she's getting plenty of (supervised) exposure to the bantams, outdoor time, and time in general out of her enclosure with my kids and me. I'm worried though that since we only got one chick that she's lonely. Is it harmful to only get one at a time? I feel like a jerk!

It is best to get chicks in multiples as they are communal animals. Like us! Well....most of us.
But, its not so bad in some situations. I am guessing you are spending a lot of time with the chick. That makes you her coop mate. This chick will most likely become a human friendly bird. Or....Unless there is a huge size difference, you can put them all together.
Your chick will be fine. But, if you feel that bad, this makes a great excuse to buy more chicks this weekend
tongue.png

Thank you! She's definitely very attached to us, but that makes me feel even worse when we put her away! And I'm all for getting another chick, but I'm afraid our coop is too small for all of them!

Is there any chance you might have room for just one more chick? If you could find her a friend close to her age/ size she would not be lonely when you're not there.

I would love to! I've been trying to find a rule of how big the coop should be vs how many chickens can fit in without overcrowding.

There's not a 'rule' so much as 'best practice'. Four or five sq. ft. per bird in the coop, and about ten sq. ft. per bird in the run. Build as large as possible! Chickens are social and need to have friends who are other chickens! Getting three or more at a time makes much more sense! Coops need to have lots of ventilation and be predator proof; hope yours is ready! How about some pictures? Mary

Back
Top Bottom