1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Lonely chicken too cold?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by UrbanGirl, Nov 23, 2013.

1. UrbanGirl

UrbanGirl New Egg

Nov 10, 2013
    Missouri
    I have 3 hens in a very simple chicken tractor. The whole set up was gifted to me, and I haven't had the money to get a proper coop built. Two hens roost together, leaving the third alone. I'm worried that she won't stay warm enough if she's on her own, the temperature is supposed to be 10F tonight. I CAN put them in the basement, which I don't mind doing, because I am worried. I want them to be comfortable & safe, but I don't know if it would stress them more than it would help them.

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    As long as the coop is dry and draft free, all should be fine. Moving them to a strange environment would be stressful.

3. MyPetNugget

MyPetNugget Enjoying the cold!!!

x's 2. When you say chicken tractor, do you mean a small one? If they all are in the same place, it doesn't really matter if they are sleeping together or not.

4. chick2flick

chick2flick Out Of The Brooder

Nov 1, 2013
    As long as the tractor has some type of shelter from the elements, yet with good ventilation, they should be fine. Some things you can do to help ensure their safety is to put Vaseline on their combs/wattles to protect from frostbite, put some kind of 'litter' in the shelter like straw, shavings, even shredded newspaper works (paper should be changed out when well soiled).
    Another thing, as long as that tractor is big enough to house them comfortably during the night and allows them access to the outside during the day, they don't necessarily need a 'proper coop'. I know of many people keeping just a few birds in a small tractor set up and just move the tractor every few days to a new grazing area. Chickens really don't need anything fancy & expensive.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by