Lonely chicken too cold?

UrbanGirl

Hatching
6 Years
Nov 10, 2013
Missouri
I have 3 hens in a very simple chicken tractor. The whole set up was gifted to me, and I haven't had the money to get a proper coop built. Two hens roost together, leaving the third alone. I'm worried that she won't stay warm enough if she's on her own, the temperature is supposed to be 10F tonight. I CAN put them in the basement, which I don't mind doing, because I am worried. I want them to be comfortable & safe, but I don't know if it would stress them more than it would help them.

As long as the coop is dry and draft free, all should be fine. Moving them to a strange environment would be stressful.

As long as the tractor has some type of shelter from the elements, yet with good ventilation, they should be fine. Some things you can do to help ensure their safety is to put Vaseline on their combs/wattles to protect from frostbite, put some kind of 'litter' in the shelter like straw, shavings, even shredded newspaper works (paper should be changed out when well soiled).
Another thing, as long as that tractor is big enough to house them comfortably during the night and allows them access to the outside during the day, they don't necessarily need a 'proper coop'. I know of many people keeping just a few birds in a small tractor set up and just move the tractor every few days to a new grazing area. Chickens really don't need anything fancy & expensive.

Back
Top Bottom