Lonely roo

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by stilldeb, Aug 15, 2011.

1. stilldeb

stilldeb Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2010
    NW Kentucky
    I posted this under a different title, breed-specific because they are Sultans, and got no takers, but they are roos so I'll ask more generally.

I have two 4-5 mo old roos, one dominant & one very laid back. They are just discovering they ARE roos and the dominant one, Lightning, is trying to challenge the other, Zeus, (didn't know they would be like this when I named them!) and Zeus is very intimidated by him. It's weird because Zeus is twice as big. It's all dancing and staring, nothing physical, and they are all very gentle birds, I handle them all the time and get Zeus out often because he is usually alone. At first I even thought he was sick, but it's been days and he is eating and drinking fine, he just looks lonely. They have three girls with them.

Any thoughts?

deb g

2. DanEP

DanEP Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    Cadiz Ky
    With only 3 girls you have one to many roos.when the hormones kick in they will both want to mate so they may fight or be really hard on your pullets. I have 4 roos right now doing ok but have about 32 girls and still think I may have to loose 1 of the guys, the smallest one is the most agresive for now.
    If you can't get more lady's for the boys you may have to choose which one you want to keep2 roos could be to many for three hens.

3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    2 roosters are too many for 3 girls.

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Quote:As a matter of fact, 1 rooster may be too many for 3 hens depending upon the size and nature of the rooster. In all probability this behavior will escalate. Eventually Zeus will come to the realization that he is far stronger than Lightning, and that just might be the end of Lightning.

5. stilldeb

stilldeb Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2010
    NW Kentucky
    Ok thanks - you've given me some ideas about evening out the population of my other coops when they get a little bit older and possibly trying to move a couple of D'Uccle hens in with them and see how that goes with a few more girls in the mix. I got a straight run of five Sultan babies and I guess it was a miracle i only ended up with two roos.

deb g

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by