Lonely runner drake

Lighthear

In the Brooder
9 Years
Aug 30, 2010
Elkhorn, WI
Hi all,
I'm new here. I meant to put Lightheart for my user name but goofed. My name is Terri Lightheart and I live in WI . I have 6 Wyandotte hens and 1 4month old Runner drake, Willie. His mate and sister, Martina, died suddenly yesterday. They were such a bonded pair, did everything together, today he is on his own trying to fit in with the chickens, so far so good. I really think he should have another duck friend, but don't know if I'm asking for trouble by introducing a new duck into my peaceful kingdom of 6 chickens, 1 runner, 2 goats, 1 german shepherd, 1 pot-bellied pig and 1 kitten. A friend has 3 young runner drakes that I could choose from. Would another drake be a good companion, or is that going to be a problem. Prior to Martina's passing yesterday, frisky Willie would try mating with the chickens, I haven't seen him try it today, as he seems to want to be part of their flock.
I'd appreciate and advice or thoughts on the situation. My boyfriend is saying no more ducks till next spring, but I'm thinking who will poor Willie cuddle with on cold winter nights???
Terri

I would get another female, or he will continue to mate the chicken and can hurt them. Duck do have penises and they can damage a chicken really bad with it. I would not get another drake, because they both may go after the chicken, or later after another female duck, if you plan on adding one.

Thanks for your input. Don't roosters have penises too? I am so novice at all this, have only had ducks and chickens for 4 months so I'm on a big learning curve. do you think he can be ok by himself for the winter?

Hi Terri - it's Kayla.
frow.gif

That's what I was worried about too - more drakes lusting after those chickens! The poor, confused things don't know the difference when those hormones get going! I don't think he's going to hurt the chickens since you have 6 - if you only had one or 2, I'd worry about him over-mating them. I don't know though.

How is he today, without Martina?

The trouble is that it's just so hard to find spare female ducks! I do think Willie would be okay by himself, but I do think he's going to be a little too...affectionate towards the chickens. If he's okay with the chickens, I think it'll be fine...he'll just sort of meld into that flock. On the other hand, if he get's too frisky with them, it's probably not a good situation for the chickens! I actually do have a little Hookbill/Khaki Campbell cross duckling right now that I'll let you have if it's a girl and you want it (I already gave all it's older siblings away - this little one just happened to be added to the nest later, so it hatched about a week after they did) - that's my lone duckling that hatched last week that I got companions for yesterday. I'm only planning on raising it, not keeping it - I didn't want to sell it or give it away all by itself though. It's going to be another month or so before I know if it's a boy or a girl though!
sad.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Roosters do not have penises; therefore, hen anatomy is not designed to have objects inserted. Drakes mating hens can cause cloacal ruptures and death of hens in extreme situations. If you wish to keep your hens healthy (maybe even alive), separate them from the drake.
welcome-byc.gif

Last edited:
Quote:
While that is true, I know several people who keep ducks and chickens together, and the drakes do not hurt the chickens at all. I think you'll know if and/or when you have a problem, Terri!

The OP has already stated that the drake is mating the chickens. Do a search on cloacal prolapse and see if you reccomend chancing it. Common sense is- Once a cloacal prolapse occurs, it is too late to decide whether or not there is a problem.

Quote:
No need to get nasty - I'm the one who bred and sold the Runners to the OP. When there were two of them, we assumed they'd be okay with the chickens and keep to themselves. Now poor Willie's confused. I'm trying my best to make this situation work for Terri, to avoid more heartache!

Thankyou all for all the input! Kayla, I'll be emailing you regarding the duckling. So far so good for Willie and the chickens, he seems to want to be part of their flock and is not trying to mate them that I have seen since Martina passed. Problem is I'm only out with them maybe 2-3 hours a day, so who knows what goes on when I'm not watching. I really want to get him a mate. It was so sad yesterday, when it rained the chickens headed into the barn with Willie following. when Martina was alive the two of them loved the rain, they waddle around and splash in their pool, rain is great duck weather. Poor little Willie just stayed inside with the chickens watching the rain. Willie needs to be a duck not a chicken. I'm so glad to be part of this group. I have learned so much in 24 hours! Thank you!!
Terri

Back
Top Bottom