SpookyWishbone

Hatching
Dec 1, 2018
We've had two ducks, a khaki campbell female and a swedish blue male, for about five years, but recently the female went missing and we fear she was carried off by a predator. The male seems pretty lonely, and I think it's especially important that he has some sort of companionship with winter approaching. We're considering finding him a new home entirely, and I'm also open to getting him a new companion if it won't put either duck in danger and we can somehow find an adult female reasonably close to where we live. Will he be able to bond with a new duck(s) now that he's well into his adulthood? Is there anything we can do to help him do so? Do you guys have any experience with duck adoption (whether that's adopting a duck or giving one up for adoption)? Just any general advise on this predicament? Thanks a lot.

:frow:welcome Where are you located? I've added 2 ducks that I found on Craigslist. If you love your male and want to keep him, shouldn't be too hard to find another duck his age. If you go that route, then you can introduce them slowly over a few days - but if he's lonely, he should welcome the new girl friend! Hopefully you've secured your house/run so predators won't be an issue again.

So it sounds like he should be fine if I introduce him to a new duck gradually. It looks like none of you guys live near me, and I prefer not to include my location (even pretty general location) online. Nevertheless, thank you guys anyway, and I'll be sure to check craigslist for ducks closer to where I live! And yeah, we're in the process of tightening security so our boy will be safe from predators. Thanks for the advise, guys.

I also introduced 4 month old runners from Craigslist also, to my 1 year old pekins, all drakes. They get along now pretty well, but in spring they will surely fight and need to be seperated. I think your duck would take to a new girlfriend just fine.

Back
Top Bottom