Loner Girl

Hello Everyone. I would like to update everyone that responded to this thread on my loner girl (Jasmine). This morning, she came out of the coop immediately and was playing. She’s slower than the other three but still markedly better from the last two days. She is breathing well and eating well and another chicken thread here suggested it might be heat exhaustion w the weather we live in. Hoping it was that, I kept the water w electrolytes near her and also put ice cubes in the other waterers on the property, making sure to keep one right next to her. I also did as directed with the fan and increased shade. perhaps it was heat exhaustion? She’s still walking slow, but walking and digging holes and straggling behind the other three. I’m very relieved. Will keep you posted on her progress. Hoping her energy levels and activity continues to improve.

thank you all for your insight!

Heat stress would be my first guess then.

What kind exactly and how did you mix it?
EL/Vits is what I use during heat stress....and huge ice blocks.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/aarts-hot-weather-spiel.75893/

hello! I want to thank you for this response. I looked at the link and did as recommended. I put the ice blocks and all. I believe it was heat exhaustion and would not have considered that without your response. Shes moving about today, albeit slowly. But actually playing and digging holes and catching lizards. She is out of the coop and trying to keep up w the other three. Gonna continue to monitor the water and heat. Hoping she will continue to improve. Thank you again!

hello! I want to thank you for this response. I looked at the link and did as recommended. I put the ice blocks and all. I believe it was heat exhaustion and would not have considered that without your response. Shes moving about today, albeit slowly. But actually playing and digging holes and catching lizards. She is out of the coop and trying to keep up w the other three. Gonna continue to monitor the water and heat. Hoping she will continue to improve. Thank you again!
I almost lost a bird one summer to heat stroke. Got some EL down her and she revived.
Now I give it regularly during heat waves along with the ice blocks.

But I do not put ice in their waterer as I once gave a bowl of ice water one bird guzzled it down then staggered around shaking her head with what I surmised was an ice cream headache. :D

Hello Everyone. I would like to update everyone that responded to this thread on my loner girl (Jasmine). This morning, she came out of the coop immediately and was playing. She’s slower than the other three but still markedly better from the last two days. She is breathing well and eating well and another chicken thread here suggested it might be heat exhaustion w the weather we live in. Hoping it was that, I kept the water w electrolytes near her and also put ice cubes in the other waterers on the property, making sure to keep one right next to her. I also did as directed with the fan and increased shade. perhaps it was heat exhaustion? She’s still walking slow, but walking and digging holes and straggling behind the other three. I’m very relieved. Will keep you posted on her progress. Hoping her energy levels and activity continues to improve.

Keep us up to date! I'm so glad she is doing better. A good lesson for me when summer comes.

You might continue to give electrolytes, start small amounts & put in all of the waterers so she gets used to the taste. That won't hurt for the others to get them too. Make it a regular routine

Funny to be talking about heat stroke now with our 20 degree weather!! But you might continue with electrolytes in all of the waterers so she gets used to it. Won't hurt the others and will make it easier to get them into her when temps. go up.
Here in So Cal we get 100+, so I used frozen 2 liter bottles. Mixed electrolytes in or vinegar then put in upside down so it adds to the water as it melts. Easy to switch out & refreeze.

Funny to be talking about heat stroke now with our 20 degree weather!! But you might continue with electrolytes in all of the waterers so she gets used to it. Won't hurt the others and will make it easier to get them into her when temps.
I use the EL in the winter too...soak the solution up in rolled oats to avoid wattle dippage.

Always have plain water available also when dosing with EL.

Back
Top Bottom