1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

loner guinea keet?

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by chloebetsychicks, Jul 7, 2010.

1. chloebetsychicks

chloebetsychicks In the Brooder

Aug 9, 2009
    greensboro
    I have a guinea mom that finally (after many weeks of setting) hatched a baby-much to our great surprise and delight. We brought him into the garage in a box because I'm sure something (predator or chicken or guinea) would get him if we left him out in the pen. He seems fine except for lonely! I feel sorta bad that he is alone, and other keets from other nests probably are a couple of weeks away. I just can't think of any sort of solution to this, do you think he'll be okay by himself?

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Crowing Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    Guineas are very social birds. i think it would be best if he has a companion keet. If you cant get another keet then maybe you could try putting in a object that the keet can snuggle with.

3. chloebetsychicks

chloebetsychicks In the Brooder

Aug 9, 2009
    greensboro
    okay-good idea-my kids have loads of stuffed animals. My older daughter has been picking him up and petting him a lot, which he seems to like (!) We are kinda hoping for a really tame one, since we are hand raising from hatching. I'm not about to obtain more birds at this point-esp. ones that didn't hatch here.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by