long tailed breeds

ninny

Songster
12 Years
Jul 1, 2007
IL side of the QCA
are all long tailed breeds far roaming? and do any come in bantam size? and last one are they are gonna cost a arm and a leg to get? any info on them would be great

Nope actually my phoenix fellas prefer to just hang on their perches. The hens mingle like all other chickens. Mine don't travel any further than the so called manicured lawns and garden space.
Yes they do come in bantams although those will be harder to find but you can get bantam sumatras, yokohamas and phoenix.
Cost and finding the bantams will be far harder than finding and affording the standard types.

Last edited:
Ohiki are cute. You could get minohiki or ohiki. Aren't minohiki what the Japanese call yokahamas?

Last edited:
I'm in the process of getting rid of mine. Only have 4 left along with 4 pullets. One large part of the reason for this is because they just won't stop jumping the fence, especially into the neighbors yard.. or some jump the fence to roam along the road.. They still try to do this even with clipped wings. They're right back over the fence as soon as just two or three wing feathers grow out. Also impossible to catch- only way I could catch them was to set traps or use a cage with food in them. I'm on one acre, they seem to roam the same as anything else thats roams "decently" except they are fence hoppers, big time. They're just so light and have good feathering so they are able to fly better than the usual chicken.

Quote:
Long-tailed breeds can actually be a wide range of birds. There a many different types of long-tails.

Some breeds do come in bantam sizes. I've seen bantam Yokohama, Sumatra, and Phoenix, as well as the very cute Ohikia.

Cost depends on what you want and where you get it. You can get your standard sized long-tails from big hatcheries like Ideal. They will not be great quality, but from what I've seen they have longer tails than other breeds and are still eye-candy. The more rare the breed the more expensive they'll most likely be. I believe your bantams will be a bit more expensive than the standards. If you also buy from a breeder who strives for show-quality, you're talking about paying some money.

Not all long-tails are far-roaming. The Onagadori(probably the truest longtail) are bred to be very calm and sedate because most of the roosters live their lives in a tomebaku, therefore I cannot see them be far-ranging. I have seen hatchery quality Phoenix rooster range, but not anything I would consider farther than any other breed. If you are wanting a far-ranging longtail, your best bet(in my opinion) would be the Sumatra.

-Kim

Last edited:
oops...my bad, I meant ohiki....
roll.png
roll.png

hmmm... I really like the bantys we have a phoeinx hen who we see once a day where she is the rest of the time i have no idea.

vamp-a-billy-princess do you have standards or bantys and could i get a pick of the chicks i have to bantys now that i think may be silver phoenixs.

Back
Top Bottom