Long-term Chelation therapy

FarmsAnarchy

Chirping
Mar 19, 2023
Muh pet goose just got out of the UTK exotic animal hospital she swallowed a washer šŸ˜„ we had endoscope done to try and remove it but they couldn't. She's on long term chelation at home now. Anybody else ever dealt with this? Or any tips on how to halp her we've had her since 3 days old she's a year now and we love her so much.

There are people here with way more knowledge than me and I know they will see your post sometime later , but I just want to say, I think I would try giving her something to help her pass it. how big is the washer? I will pray it goes through and out. I know how it feels to love a goose, and it's so sad when they are sick or hurting. I love mine too. :love :hugs

There are people here with way more knowledge than me and I know they will see your post sometime later , but I just want to say, I think I would try giving her something to help her pass it. how big is the washer? I will pray it goes through and out. I know how it feels to love a goose, and it's so sad when they are sick or hurting. I love mine too. :love :hugs
So I had posted a thread awhile back trying to figure out what was wrong and ultimately the animal hospital based on they thought she wasn't as sick as I was telling them she was didn't do xrays which we asked for and ended up deciding it was gapeworms and treating her for that. She did seem to be getting better. Then after some weeks she started stumbling last Tues and Wed she couldn't stand up I rushed her to University of Tennessee exotics and after much lab work she had a higher than normal lead lab come back as 5.5 g/DL so they started chelation her cbc was elevated and so trimethoprim was started to. They did full xray with sedation the next morning and found the washer we decided to go forth with the endoscopy to try get it out they really were hopeful that it would work. šŸ˜¢ they weren't able to get it out so she was in hospital from Wed to Saturday (yesterday) we brought her home and I am giving her the antibiotic and chelation injection 2Ɨa day at home

I am curious what do you have to do to give her the chelation therapy? Is it an oral med like a pill or what else?
So right now it's injection until that runs out and the capsule chelation is being shipped out immediately should get here Tomorrow but we may not be able to get her to take the capsules and then we will go back to the shots šŸ˜“ she figured out quickly that medicine is yucky and she quickly became difficult to get it in her tbh the shot is easier than the pill antibiotics

How you give capsules to a goose is by applying pressure to the corner of the mouth with one hand and when she opens her mouth wrap your hand around the top of the bill, this can help prevent her from biting down, then insert the pill as far down her throat as you can reach, then close her mouth and hold her head upright for a moment. The faster you do this the easier it is and less stressful it is for her.

I had one of mine on chelation therapy briefly for suspected lead ingestion, it turned out to be unnecessary as that wasnā€™t the problem but this is what the vet told me at the time. Lead is very hard to remove from the body, and even when the problem object is removed or dissolved and symptoms seem to be gone, symptoms can re-emerge at a later date, in female geese and swans it usually coincides when they start laying as the lead has settled in their bones and when they start laying they begin using stored calcium in their bones, which causes the lead to start recirculating in the blood stream.
It can take weeks to months of chelation therapy to remove it, and sometimes it can still re-emerge.

Assuming this was the cause of her problems when she was sick before itā€™s surprising that the washer hasnā€™t completely dissolved in some ways but it also is a problem as itā€™s still there so it will likely remain there for many more weeks to months continuing to poison her, itā€™s crucial that the washer is removed. Itā€™s possible that her previous illness was actually unrelated and that she swallowed the washer more recently, lead poisoning is a severe health issue and usually isnā€™t gradual unless sheā€™s been exposed to low dosages over a long period of time.
If you can afford it you should have them attempt to remove it again as the poisoning will worsen as her body breaks it down. As it is now Iā€™m sorry to tell you this but her prognosis isnā€™t good.

If you can try to get her to eat cilantro and if she doesnā€™t blend it up and feed it to her via tube feeding. Cilantro has some effect at scrubbing metals out of the digestive tract.

Last edited:
How you give capsules to a goose is by applying pressure to the corner of the mouth with one hand and when she opens her mouth wrap your hand around the top of the bill, this can help prevent her from biting down, then insert the pill as far down her throat as you can reach, then close her mouth and hold her head upright for a moment. The faster you do this the easier it is and less stressful it is for her.

I had one of mine on chelation therapy briefly for suspected lead ingestion, it turned out to be unnecessary as that wasnā€™t the problem but this is what the vet told me at the time. Lead is very hard to remove from the body, and even when the problem object is removed or dissolved and symptoms seem to be gone, symptoms can re-emerge at a later date, in female geese and swans it usually coincides when they start laying as the lead has settled in their bones and when they start laying they begin using stored calcium in their bones, which causes the lead to start recirculating in the blood stream.
It can take weeks to months of chelation therapy to remove it, and sometimes it can still re-emerge.

Assuming this was the cause of her problems when she was sick before itā€™s surprising that the washer hasnā€™t completely dissolved in some ways but it also is a problem as itā€™s still there so it will likely remain there for many more weeks to months continuing to poison her, itā€™s crucial that the washer is removed. Itā€™s possible that her previous illness was actually unrelated and that she swallowed the washer more recently, lead poisoning is a severe health issue and usually isnā€™t gradual unless sheā€™s been exposed to low dosages over a long period of time.
If you can afford it you should have them attempt to remove it again as the poisoning will worsen as her body breaks it down. As it is now Iā€™m sorry to tell you this but her prognosis isnā€™t good.

If you can try to get her to eat cilantro and if she doesnā€™t blend it up and feed it to her via tube feeding. Cilantro has some effect at scrubbing metals out of the digestive tract.
They won't attempt to remove it again she did full sedation and endoscopy where it's at its not able to be retrieved šŸ˜„ and they didn't think that doing surgery would work University of Tennessee exotic animal hospital is where we go she was paralyzed last Wed but is now walking around laying eggs she wasn't able to get in the pool alone but we got her in and let her swim šŸ˜“ she goes back end of April for an xray and labs they seemed to think she had a high chance of recovery based on her levels and how quickly she started coming around but I'm not sold WE are always so careful about anything that they could get ahold of but this property is old like 1800s old coal mine and camp old and I jus feel awful about it we bought a magnet roller to sweep the goose and duck yard šŸ’”šŸŖ暟˜„ ty for the response

Back
Top Bottom