Long time lurker

Sutherlandfarms

Songster
Apr 1, 2018
Southeast Texas
Hi, my name is Carleigh. I’m 26 and live on about a 1/4 acre in southern Texas near Louisiana with my husband, our two house cats, and a 9 month old pig.

I grew up spending tons of time on my grandparents farm with chickens, ducks, cows, horses, dogs, donkeys,...well you get the idea.

I was shocked at how little I actually knew about animal husbandry due to always relying on my PawPaw for information.

A year ago my chicken loving aunt and I were hunting for duck info on this site and I knew I wanted some chickens but shortly after my husband and I adopted our pig, Maple, and I knew I needed to devote all my attention to her.

Fast forward to a little less than a year later, and my husband an I were at tractor supply buying a gun safe and my Nana happened to be in the store as well. She saw me looking longingly at the bantams and she said, it’s been so long since you had a pet chicken, do you want to get one? I knew I wouldn’t be able to buy just one since there’s a four chick minimum. I looked at my husband, paying for his gun safe at the register. I told her we had been talking about chickens and that I actually did want to get some. I knew my aunt had a heat source and that I had a brooder. My nana checked out with my 4 little chicks, starter and feeders. My PawPaw has been in heaven for 8 years but he instilled a love of farming and ranching in my heart.

Now here we are. Four new little family members. I’m excited to learn from y’all and see your babies!

Hi Carleigh, you probably know more than you think, this little memory of yours have been tucked away that will come up when you needed them seeing your grand parents raised them.

You probably know more than me when I first started chicken raising, I was 22 five years ago when I impulsively bought some chicks for my kids not knowing nor ever touch a chick before. Good luck!

Hi Carleigh, you probably know more than you think, this little memory of yours have been tucked away that will come up when you needed them seeing your grand parents raised them.

You probably know more than me when I first started chicken raising, I was 22 five years ago when I impulsively bought some chicks for my kids not knowing nor ever touch a chick before. Good luck!
I can only hope! Thank you!

Welcome, Carleigh. Sounds like you're all set... during your time lurking here, did you read about chicken math? You sound like a candidate for it to get ya! LOL
Haha I have learned about chicken math and actually plan to return to TSC tomorrow to get six more bantams. I think ten is a good number especially if I get lucky and get eight pullets and two cockerels. My Nana wants the extra cockerels to add some life back to the farm in the likely event I get more than that

Welcome, Carleigh. Sounds like you're all set... during your time lurking here, did you read about chicken math? You sound like a candidate for it to get ya! LOL

Chicken Math. Is that the thing where last year's clutch is finally out back, laying, and you miss the fluffy little fuzzies, so you start out with "just 4 peeps" ... but one dies, so you go back to the breeder and get a replacement ... and three more to keep it company on the way home ... and you spend the next few days nursing two sick babies through pasty-butt and swear that you will NEVER buy chicks that young again ... and then you realize that you really like the little black one with the red head (or the silver-striped one, or the one with the feathered feet) and go back to see if they have another one in hopes that at least one will be a pullet ... and get three more, promising yourself and your kids that you will now stop ... then you run to TSC on the day before Easter for more feed and a blown heat lamp replacement ... and see a whole bin of soft, fluffy Silkies on "clearance?"

If that's how four adds up to 22 in less than two weeks, then I think I'm a victim of Chicken Math, already. Math never was my strong suit ... so next time, I'm sticking to English ... or maybe Geometry ... which I'll need when I build up my now too-small coop!

G'Day from down under Carleigh :frowWelcome!

I am pleased you delurked and hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

BYC has Topic of the Week discussions which I have found to be a great resource, informative and sometimes entertaining; so definitely worth checking out.

If you would like to share Pictures and Stories of your flock and/or other critters, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out ;)

You might want to also Find Your State Thread and pop in and say hello.

Howdy Carleigh :welcome:frow Happy:ya to have you join the family. Enjoy your time here at BYC! :)
Glad you decided to stop lurking.
animated-indian-and-redskin-image-0031.gif

Back
Top Bottom