Look at my chick area within the coop! Finished!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by TcherDawn, Aug 1, 2010.

1. TcherDawn

TcherDawn Granite State Chook

Jan 30, 2009
    Prescott, AZ
    My DH took my idea and made it so again! Love him. This is the area for our 8 babies (5 weeks old on Monday Aug 2). It is the area under the droppings board. I have a flat panel heater in the coop and heated it to 75 ish last night. The coop only dropped to 70 with all the insulation in there, even though the outside temps were in the low 40's(hard for you Southerners to imagine, I know). I hope to have them in there for 2 weeks or so. The big girls freaked out when they discovered them there last night when they came in from free ranging. I have never heard so much noise from my 4 quiet girls. And the babies CRIED! But I turned the light out and everyone settled after a few minutes. They all slept fine(I have a chicken cam to watch). But the racket ensued again this morning. I hope the two weeks will give them time to get used to each other. Should I wait until they are 8 weeks old, or should I just see how it goes? I have never done this before, so any advice would be great. Thanks. Dawn
    Ps. any pats on the back I will pass on to DH :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. le neige homme

le neige homme Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    That's a very neat idea and nice workmanship. I wonder though if the hens could peck at the little ones through the poultry netting.

3. chicknduck

chicknduck Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2010
    Ohio
    Very nice. Good job.

4. le neige homme

le neige homme Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Do I see a cockerel in the first photo?

5. TcherDawn

Jan 30, 2009
    Prescott, AZ
    oooh, I hope no cockerels. Which one is suspect?

6. TcherDawn

Jan 30, 2009
    Prescott, AZ
    The netting is 1x1. I don't think the adults can get their heads in there, but not sure. I will watch for that. Thank you.

7. joletabey

joletabey SDWD!!!!

Apr 9, 2009
    western NC
    Great idea! Give that DH of yours a hug!

8. hd_darcy

hd_darcy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Wisconsin
    Love it!

9. LizGled628

LizGled628 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Rhode Island
    That is gorgeous! I think that's a great idea. I would wait until they are completely feathered out until you let them out of the brooder (and away from the heat lamp) with temps going into the 40's. I'm in RI and this morning it was definitely a little chilly! Great job!

10. GlitterKitty

GlitterKitty Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2009
    Quote:I have the same netting and my hens don't bug the chicks at all unless one escapes [​IMG] But then of course, my pen was basically thrown in there and nailed to the walls...

And i really like it TcherDawn! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by