Look at my chick area within the coop! Finished!

TcherDawn

Granite State Chook
10 Years
Jan 30, 2009
Prescott, AZ
My DH took my idea and made it so again! Love him. This is the area for our 8 babies (5 weeks old on Monday Aug 2). It is the area under the droppings board. I have a flat panel heater in the coop and heated it to 75 ish last night. The coop only dropped to 70 with all the insulation in there, even though the outside temps were in the low 40's(hard for you Southerners to imagine, I know). I hope to have them in there for 2 weeks or so. The big girls freaked out when they discovered them there last night when they came in from free ranging. I have never heard so much noise from my 4 quiet girls. And the babies CRIED! But I turned the light out and everyone settled after a few minutes. They all slept fine(I have a chicken cam to watch). But the racket ensued again this morning. I hope the two weeks will give them time to get used to each other. Should I wait until they are 8 weeks old, or should I just see how it goes? I have never done this before, so any advice would be great. Thanks. Dawn
Ps. any pats on the back I will pass on to DH :)

22059_img_4393.jpg

22059_img_4388.jpg

That's a very neat idea and nice workmanship. I wonder though if the hens could peck at the little ones through the poultry netting.

The netting is 1x1. I don't think the adults can get their heads in there, but not sure. I will watch for that. Thank you.

That is gorgeous! I think that's a great idea. I would wait until they are completely feathered out until you let them out of the brooder (and away from the heat lamp) with temps going into the 40's. I'm in RI and this morning it was definitely a little chilly! Great job!

Quote:
I have the same netting and my hens don't bug the chicks at all unless one escapes
roll.png
But then of course, my pen was basically thrown in there and nailed to the walls...

And i really like it TcherDawn!
love.gif

Back
Top Bottom