Look At Skye's New Plumage...Blue Orp Hen

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by speckledhen, Feb 14, 2009.

1. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

You remember my Skye, Suede's older wife? Well, Skye molted and came in a much different shade of blue...plus now, she's positively variegated! She's a new breed called a "patchwork quilt Orpington", LOL. She's actually darker than the pic shows, but you can see her unusual pattern. The last pic is one of Suede's younger wives, Dusty. We were doing butt-fluff trims today so took a couple shots.
    The Original Skye:
    [​IMG]

The New Skye, post molt:

[​IMG]

Dusty:

[​IMG]

2. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Isnt that gorgeous!?!?

3. CityClucks

CityClucks The Center of a 50 Mile Radius

Jan 31, 2009
    Tulsa, OK
    Beautiful bird!

4. speckledhen

It may be bad for showing, but I love her new look! She is much darker than Smoky and Dusty.

5. BamaChicken

BamaChicken Orpingtons Bama Style

Nov 14, 2007
    I have one that molted out the very same color. She is darker than she was. I love the way she looks.

6. speckledhen

Thanks, Julie. She sure did surprise me, changing color like that. Very cool! BTW, Julie, when I trimmed butt fluff today, OMGosh, Skye is so massively fluffy, no wonder her eggs werent fertile! She is my most typey Blue Orp girl.

7. sara

sara Title Needed Here

Well she sure looks neat now. [​IMG]

8. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Very pretty. I've got a couple that look very much like that....they're my favorite ones.

9. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    I have a couple that feathered out like that. They are from Bonnie and Mosby. IN fact there are 3 of them in the same pen.

Very pretty she is.

I think the orps are the cutest chicks ever but once you get some more mature hens you see what a orpington hen should look like. I think at 2 years they just start to hit their peak of beauty.

10. scgamecock

scgamecock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Conway SC
    Absolutely beautiful.Oh how I wish!! BTW Velvet is George's mother.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by