Look at this bird and please tell me what you think...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Chris Herzog, Nov 17, 2011.

1. Chris Herzog

Chris Herzog Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2011
    Covington
    Can someone tell me what’s going on here? I have 3 Columbian Wyandottes that are about 8 weeks old. Two of them look great but the one here in the pics has some kind of problem with it's feathers. Do I need to do something with this bird or just give her some time?

Thanks,
    Chris

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 17, 2011
  2. Flip-N-Flogging

Flip-N-Flogging Out Of The Brooder

Sep 25, 2011
    Possibly a cockerel. They always seem to feather a little slower.

3. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    I had a Barred-Rock do the same thing. He was so homely and looked like a little emu. He was promptly named Emu and now looks like this:
    [​IMG]

4. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    Quote:x2

5. BlazeJester

BlazeJester Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Midway, GA
    Mine did this. She was from Meyer hatchery. I'll be darn if she never lays an egg because she's turned into a beautiful hen. Someone else also had this problem with Meyer columbian wyandottes - that and single combs. apparently they're just bad blood all around. Very, very sweet birds though - I love mine!

She's 14 weeks now and actually has tail feathers. For the longest time I thought she never would! I call her "pokey" for being such a slowpoke, but she may need a new name... she's now the first one to come running for treats!!! [​IMG]

ETA: The other post I saw had been updated to announce it was a hen and she laid normally. The lady even sent me a picture of her bird... which I'm going to post. Her username is cabot (citing my sources!!!).

Five weeks:
    [​IMG]

Eight weeks (everyone told me she was a roo bc of this pic, but I still haven't seen a peep of wattles/comb growth and these were sexed):
    [​IMG]

And I'll take and post a picture of her tomorrow at 14 weeks looking like she had feathers all along. If I dare say so, she's prettier than her sister who feathered normally!

Cabot's bird:
    [​IMG]

Quote:

Last edited: Nov 17, 2011
  6. La Casa de Pollo

La Casa de Pollo Overrun With Chickens

Nov 4, 2011
    Northern Utah
    You positive she is not a he ? [​IMG]

7. Chris Herzog

Chris Herzog Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2011
    Covington
    Thanks for all the feed-back guys...I guess I'll just wait it out and see what he/she does!!! lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by