Look what followed my ducks home!

No idea...but how neat!
big_smile.png

we drove him out to the river after talking to rehabbers, apparently this time of year you will have these guys crashing into roads etc looking for a body of water- its possible he got disoriented, so this morning when i went in to check him he was full of energy and ready to get on with it- so we released him he fluffed and preened and took off

24037_strrayfree.jpg

Cool, I'm glad he's OK. Their babies are cute. They are hatched with stripes and sometimes ride on their parent's back when they first hatch. When they're older, only their head and neck are striped.

Quote:
I've never heard of a Grebe....but sure do love the feet in the photo!! How adorable!!! OP....best of luck to you and the little one...he sure is a cutie!
smile.png

Here is the Wikipedia.com definition of the Pied-billed Grebe

Description: The Pied-billed Grebe is small, stocky, and short-necked. It is 31–38 centimeters (12–15 in) in length, it has a wingspan of 45–62 cm (18–24 in) and weighs 253–568 grams (8.9–20.0 oz). It is usually brown or gray in color. It has a short, blunt chicken-like bill, which in summer is encircled by a broad black band (hence the name). It is the only grebe that does not show a white wing patch in flight. The sexes are monomorphic (meaning no sexual dimorphism).

Diet: Pied-billed Grebes feed mainly on aquatic invertebrates, and also on small fish and amphibians (frogs, tadpoles). Pied-billed Grebes have been shown to eat their own feathers to aid in digestion (prevent injury from small bones).

The Pied-billed Grebe breeds in south-central Canada, throughout the United States, Central America, the Caribbean, and temperate South America. It creates an open bowl type nest in a platform of floating vegetation, loosely anchored by the cattails to float with the waves. When it leaves its nest it covers its eggs with vegetation. After a period of time the vegetation will stain the eggs and help conceal them better.

Pied-billed Grebes are year-round residents in much of their range, though populations that breed in areas where their habitat freezes in winter migrate to warmer regions. Although this species does not appear to be a strong flier, it has occurred in Europe as a rare vagrant on a number of occasions, and one bird in England bred with a Little Grebe, producing hybrid young.

Habitat: The most widespread of North American grebes, it is found on many open waters, such as remote ponds, marshes, and sluggish streams. It is usually the first grebe to arrive on northern inland waters in springtime, and the last to leave in autumn. It is rare on salt water.

Quote:
You never heard of a grebe? Or do you mean you never heard of a grebe following ducks back to the farm?

I never heard of the latter
lol.png
they are common here but are always very wary. Coots also have those funky feet.

Back
Top Bottom