Look What I Can Do!!! *PIC Heavy*

Sorry to say momiphouph those mountains are in Utah. I do miss the Huachucas where I came from. I am not originally from AZ but lived there long enough to fall in love with it. I do have tons of pictures of the mountains in Arizona on my computer. From the Huachucas to the red rocks of Sedona. Hopefully we will retire there some day! Had to move up to Utah earlier this year because our jobs moved up here. Being a contractor for the military is almost as bad as being in the military. Seems like we get to move every three to five years.
wink.png
If you are planning on doing your own coop, you know you will have to post pictures so the "ladies builder club"
wink.png
can watch your progress and oooh and aaahhh over how you are doing!

The Chicken People, none of my girls are squatting for me. My Ameraucanas are pretty skittish although they are getting more and more used to me and learning that I am the "treat lady"
big_smile.png
so they like me more and more each day. My Wyandottes are very friendly but no squatting or eggs yet. Haven't heard the egg song either but whoever is laying is doing it while we are at work. Two of the Ameraucanas have larger and reder combs so it is between those two that I think my layer is. Maybe I will figure it out tomorrow when I am home.

lau.gif
And here I have been oooing and aaaahhhing over the wrong mountains. LOL Well guess I have just been away too long.
roll.png
Its been 5 years, sure miss my family. Im hoping to get to go back and visit in April, we shall see?
Being a contractor for the military is almost as bad as being in the military.

Yes it is!!!
sickbyc.gif
Do you get the deployments, I know some contractors do and others dont. No doubt both jobs have their pro's and cons but we press on.
wink.png
We are just hoping where ever we move to next we are able to bring a few chickens along!
big_smile.png
I dont think my ds could bare to part with them.
If I am brave enough to start the coop I will definatly join the "ladies builder club" You are an inspiration to us all!
thumbsup.gif

Quote:
April is a nice time of year to visit. Not too hot yet!

Quote:
We do not get ordered to deploy but we can volunteer to do deployments. My DH went overseas for seven months.

Quote:
The inspiration actually started with Heather. If you have not had a chance to see her thread, I have a link in one of the posts on this thread. She was my inspriation to do this mainly by myself. If you start your own thread on your coop you will have to post a link to it so we can watch your progress. Love having the ladies builder club growing!
wink.png

Finally got a chance to get some of the odds and ends stuff done today. Not completely finished but got the ones done that I have really wanted to get done.

60251_img00127-20101030-1311.jpg

Got the PVC feeders done today. I want to thank jeb251 for his design. It was a little more than $5 a piece and just a little longer than 5 minutes to make each one but I think it took me about half an hour to make all three. Of course I was on the phone with my mom at the time so that added a little to the time element!
wink.png
They are extremely easy to make. I might try to find bigger caps for the bottoms since it is 3" pipe and 4" caps. I am thinking if I can find 5" caps that would work easier.

60251_img00128-20101030-1312.jpg

One of my design flaws was a too big gap between the wall and the nest box cover. Rain and snow had gotten in the gap and soaked the shavings in the nests. I knew I needed weather stripping but wasn't sure how I was going to go about it. I found weather stripping for a garage door and screwed it to the wall and to the cover. Problem solved!
thumbsup.gif

OK once the important stuff was done (it is going to rain soon!) I figured I would also get my sign painted on my nest box. HA HA Heather posting my picture first!
tongue2.gif

60251_img00129-20101030-1400.jpg

Nice penmanship.
lau.gif
gig.gif
I'm hoping to get my first egg any day now from myleghorn. EE may give it up by xmas. No idea for my Polish. My DH just told me he was getting me a storage shed for XMAS so I can start planning my windows and egg boxes , etc. Can't wait to get started. It will have to wait though. Too many other projects going on.

Got the PVC feeders done today. I want to thank jeb251 for his design. It was a little more than $5 a piece and just a little longer than 5 minutes to make each one but I think it took me about half an hour to make all three. Of course I was on the phone with my mom at the time so that added a little to the time element! They are extremely easy to make. I might try to find bigger caps for the bottoms since it is 3" pipe and 4" caps. I am thinking if I can find 5" caps that would work easier.

Looking great.

Love the feeders. Can you share how you mounted to the studs and then how you mounted the bottom 4" cap?

If you are getting the pipe at a place like Home Depot or Lowes or probably any other hardware store, you could ask them to cut the pipe to the length you need. For the holes to hang them, I just use two different sized drill bits. I was lucky and they had pieces of pipe already cut so I just bought three sections instead of a 10' pipe.

Back
Top Bottom