Look What I Can Do!!! *PIC Heavy*

I thought of a few more things that I have learned so far and want to jot them down before I forget:
Jig saws are easier for me to handle to rip large pieces of wood than a circular saw.
Jig saw blades come in different lengths. You will need one that protrudes from the bottom plate more than two inches to cut cleanly through a 2X4.
If you are using battery operated tools, have more than one battery for that tool. Saves mucho time waiting for a battery to charge, just swap them out!
Measure the size of the blade for a miter saw before you buy a new one. Yours might take a different size blade than a circular saw.
Double check the measurements on your blue prints before cutting wood.
Saw horses make a much more stable cutting platform than a plastic trash can!
wink.png

These are all I can think of now. Yes I have learned these through my own mistakes so far and hope that my errors help other people not to make the same ones!
I want to thank everyone for your encouragement!
big_smile.png

OK off to Home Depot for the next bunch of wood!

Last edited:
Quote:
Yes it is designed to be made in the sections and then assembled in place. Thank goodness because I haven't gotten the ground leveled yet where it is going to go!
gig.gif

Quote:
pidgey which one are you building and have you made modifications to the plans in the book? I would love to see how yours is coming along too!

Quote:
pidgey which one are you building and have you made modifications to the plans in the book? I would love to see how yours is coming along too!

I'm building The all in One coop. I thought it would be a great coop for in town. Making a little Modifications. Like moving the ramp to one side instead of the side where the door is going to be. Plus I didnt need the Nest box to open from the outside so I just made two the the side walls the same. So far I have spent $30 on it.
smile.png
I have the frame down and the walls and is starting on the Run.

I want the link to heather's thread. I am so proud of you taking this on. I want to do by myself too but have not had the courage. I will need more than coop building for dummies, i will need measuring for dummies, using tools for dummies, construction for dummies, and on and on and on....

hitting "subscribe" to this!!!

Thanks Didi for letting me know about it.. I am soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo impressed! Now that I'm learning more.. I want to try more that I think I could possibly build something that didn't look like preschoolers built it.
gig.gif

You are doing great!! It's so much fun.. even if you don't know exactly what you are doing but as you keep learning it gets even more fun.. Ok.. when you don't know what you are doing there are many times when I just wanted to throw the tools stomp and pout! tee hee!

Good luck in getting a lot done this weekend!! My plan for today is to try and build that nesting box!
woot.gif

One thing I learned from building my first run that I forgot until midway through building my third run is that you still need to check the length of dimensional lumber. I bought a bunch of 2" by 2" by 8' boards and just assumed they'd all be 8' long. Um, no.

I didn't realize my mistake until I was standing there wondering why my panels weren't square. Ohhhhhh! Lightbulb moment.

So, yeah. Measure everything.

Back
Top Bottom