Look what took my chickens!!!!!! Bald Eagle Picture

I am glad to hear that. So only one missing now, thats much better than having lost two. Is your Cochin ok, or is there damage to the poor thing? Hopefully its not harmed, and was just in hiding.

Good Dog!

I always wondered about a flock protecting dog attacking a BOP. When we had a ton of hawks and vultures flying around, I thought "What if I train our Aussie to run them off?" The dog couldn't get a hold of them unless they were swooping or had landed, so it would leave most BOPs safe.

You can train a dog to do about anything. I've always played with the thought of training a dog to run off BOPs. I don't think it would take much to run off a BOP, a dog running at it I'm sure it would take it's leave and quick.

Please note, I am not talking about training an Eagle Hound! Not training a dog to actively hunt BOPs merely something that would be protective over the chickens and "knowledgeable" enough to watch the skies.

-Kim

lol Thats good to hear.

When our roo was taken, we thought we had lost a hen also. Well we didnt, we found her the next day locked in the coop with the rest of the girls. I searched that coop 5-6 times before locking them all up. She had to have burried herself in the straw, as we had looked in all possible spaces that she could have squeezed into.

But oh what a relief it was when I went to feed the next morning, and she was there with the rest of the flock clucking at me impatiently for breakfast.
lol.png
It was a funny sight.

Quote:
This right here, is exactly why I refuse to allow my mini dacshund to run in my fields... Between the eagles, hawks, owls, and osprey. I just dont want to take that chance. If a bird of prey can carry it off, and they are hunting, they will take what they can. Doesnt matter if its a chicken, dog, cat, rabitt, fish... The list goes on for potential prey. I have even witnessed an eagle swoop down on a small child playing on the beach... Now THAT was scary.

I would worry about a little dog too, even it was on a leash. My neighbors cat was carried way by a Eagle.
I have seen Eagles swoop on small children playing at the beach. I doubt they could carry them off but they could do allot of damage if they got their talons into them.

I was just talking to my hay farmer who also raises sheep and he has had 27 sheep killed this year already, mostly by cougars or domestic dogs (he shot four dogs) but 5 of them were lambs, taken by Eagles. He leaves his sheep guarding dogs in the field now. I can't remember what breed of dog they are but they are BIG! and it solved the problem.

If you see Eagles checking out your flock grab a slingshot and send some rocks their way. They get the drift but they might show up when your not at home.

Quote:
This right here, is exactly why I refuse to allow my mini dacshund to run in my fields... Between the eagles, hawks, owls, and osprey. I just dont want to take that chance. If a bird of prey can carry it off, and they are hunting, they will take what they can. Doesnt matter if its a chicken, dog, cat, rabitt, fish... The list goes on for potential prey. I have even witnessed an eagle swoop down on a small child playing on the beach... Now THAT was scary.

I would worry about a little dog too, even it was on a leash. My neighbors cat was carried way by a Eagle.
I have seen Eagles swoop on small children playing at the beach. I doubt they could carry them off but they could do allot of damage if they got their talons into them.

I was just talking to my hay farmer who also raises sheep and he has had 27 sheep killed this year already, mostly by cougars or domestic dogs (he shot four dogs) but 5 of them were lambs, taken by Eagles. He leaves his sheep guarding dogs in the field now. I can't remember what breed of dog they are but they are BIG! and it solved the problem.

If you see Eagles checking out your flock grab a slingshot and send some rocks their way. They get the drift but they might show up when your not at home.

Another story about an eagle attack. I was playing with my niece a few years ago at a beachfront park in Seattle. We were watching this older lady walking her Scottish Terrior along the beach, when an eagle swooped down and ripped the poor dogs leash right out of the ladies hand. The eagle flew out over the water and dropped the dog. The poor dog had gashes in its back and front shoulder from the tallons. But the dog was lucky and survived with quite a few stitches. I still keep in touch with that older gal every now and then.

We are near Gig Harbor, WA and also fear the Bald Eagle. They are beautiful to watch, soaring overhead, but a little unsettling when doing so over the hen house we are building. They have wiped out most of our friend's flock. We can't risk an uncovered run. It is just the price you pay for living in this amazing area.

Back
Top Bottom