Look what we caught today

the coral snake is poisonous for one reason - to kill mice. It's not poisonous so it can kill you, your kids, your family or your dogs - not fair to kill something just because you're afraid of it or because it happens to crawl instead of walk. Put it somewhere where it can live it's life without getting tromped on by people, and it will not bother anyone.

Killing things because they "gross you out" - is not the solution to anything.
sad.png
The snake was there first. It is a beautiful creature - the colors are there to say "stay away I am dangerous, don't come near me!"

molly

YIKES! That is the reason I live in Maine: no poisonous snakes, or poisonous insects (a few black widows have been found over the years, but it is VERY few). Good thing, too. I see a snake and *alas* I always try to catch the durn things but they are too fast for me.

As for relocating it... I'd be afraid to reopen the bottle! Your call on kill or release.. but I'd put it WAY in the back 40.

Last edited:
I don't even want to know how he managed to put it into a bottle.
ep.gif

BigR's answer still making me chuckle!!
lau.gif

Relocating sounds like a good thing....as long as its far far away from me!!
gig.gif

unbelieveable!!!!!!! how did you catch it? we live on a creek... lots of snakes. queen snake is a particular favorite of mine. but coral?! i agree with turning it loose elsewhere. chances are he won't be back. love the cut it in half post!!! but truely... i'd relocate it or turn it over to wildlife preserve organization.

I absolutely agree with you, eichenluft.

As for how he got it in the bottle? He picked it up and put it in there. There's not a snake yet that he's found outside and NOT picked up. He's just that way, I guess. It used to really bother me - I was sure he'd get bit (we both have, but luckily not by a coral or rattler). Now, it's no big deal. We relocate every snake we find near the house. And no, not in 2 pieces, either, BigR!! Very funny post, though!
lol.png

We have boa's and python's as pets, so we naturally aren't going to kill a snake just because we decided to live in it's natural habitat.

We don't see many coral's here- I think that is the 2nd one this year I've seen out of probably a handful over the last 5 years. Rattlers, on the other hand, are everywhere.

Yeah, they are poisonous, but they are so small that IF one caught a mouse, it would have to be a pinkie in order for the snake to be able to eat it. So, my guess is that it preys on insects more so than mice. They really are very beautiful snakes.

Photos of my pets:

a few pythons balled up together
052505020.jpg

One of the Boa's at 9-10ft long and roughly the thickness of my thigh
052505022.jpg

Another Boa about 8 1/2 ft and not as thick as the other
052505021.jpg

Last edited:
Coral snakes may be poisonous to kill mice, but if you're bitten by one, it's just as deadly to humans. If you don't want to deal with it, call animal control. Most likely they will kill it. I know I wouldn't want one taking up residence on my property. I'm not for killing indiscriminately, but if it's me or the snake, or my family, pets, livestock or the snake, I'd get rid of the snake.

Personally I would worry more about the Pythons getting out and eating a chicken, they're big enough to do it!!! Relocating works for me but not dear hubby!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom