Look what we picked up at Cackle Hatchery today...vote on EEs PLS!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by legacyln, Mar 9, 2009.

1. legacyln

legacyln Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2008
    Jefferson City, MO
    I combined orders with a couple others who wanted small numbers of chicks, and I have all 30 pullet chicks here tonight until I deliver them to the others tomorrow.

There are 10 Light Brahmas, 10 Easter Eggers, 5 Barred Rocks, and 5 Black Australorps.

I am keeping 5 Brahmas and 5 EEs. It is going to hurt giving up the others.... but until my new henhouse is built I don't want to crowd my gals.

When we picked up the Cackle staffer told us they just hatched this morning and instructed us to withold food and water tonight and start feeding tomorrow. They are at the correct temp according to Cackle (98 F) and their movement/spatial pattern looks correct for comfortable chicks, but man they are peeping insanely! The brooder is other side of the wall from my bedroom, so I'm thinking a sleeping pill is called for tonight. These are the youngest chicks I've ever had, last year's two batches were 1 week and a few days old, respectively, when I got them.

So, since I did the pick up I am choosing the EEs I want to keep! I have never had them before, but it appears I've got a few grays or blues, a few wheatens, and a bunch of little chipmunks! Anyone want to weigh in on what they'll look like as adults and vote for which 5 I should keep? I have provided a handy marked up photo for your reference:
    [​IMG]
    PS Camera strap is in the way b/c my 3 year old toook this photo:)

2. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Very cute! The chick between A and G looks like an EE too.

3. ging3rhoffman

ging3rhoffman Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    Awwww, how sweet. I just got my chicks at 3am this morning. Im exhausted but happy. I will post a pic of my chicks later when i have more energy. I have 6 EE' and I just made sure that each one looked very different. I am hoping for blue, green and pink eggs!! Ive got to go get a nap. [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 10, 2009
  4. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    They're adorable!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. needtohatch

needtohatch Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2009
    Hart Co
    They are sooo cute! I am not sure I could give any up! [​IMG] If I had to pick I would say G, A, D, E and the one the letter F is touching. [​IMG]

6. HenHaven

HenHaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2007
    Coarsegold, CA
    If I were picking, I'd choose one of each coloring, then pick the ones with the fluffiest cheeks!

7. sherrydeanne

sherrydeanne Chillin' With My Peeps

I'd definately keep E and G, they're the most varied [​IMG]

8. Fudgie

Fudgie Hatching Queen - Got Fudge?

Quote:Ditto on this. However I would want to keep em all!!! [​IMG]

9. lisahaschickens

lisahaschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2009
    Vancouver, WA
    I would keep the greatest variety! for mine, I did the same thing, and I kept three little "chipmunks" - one was much lighter than the rest. One that was wheaten, and that was dark, chocolate brown, like the one between A & G. That one has turned into my favorite of all my 15 chicks (I also have Marans and BOs). Good luck to you!

10. MoodyChicken

MoodyChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Northern California
    Cuteness! Hmmm.... E, G, B, D, the bottom one on F, and A. That's 6... lol. Ok, either G or the bottom F plus E, G, B, and D. That's what I'd pick. I see you got a couple roos too. They're all so cute. I can't wait to start hatching!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by