Look what we picked up at Cackle Hatchery today...vote on EEs PLS!

legacyln

Songster
11 Years
Mar 18, 2008
Jefferson City, MO
I combined orders with a couple others who wanted small numbers of chicks, and I have all 30 pullet chicks here tonight until I deliver them to the others tomorrow.

There are 10 Light Brahmas, 10 Easter Eggers, 5 Barred Rocks, and 5 Black Australorps.

I am keeping 5 Brahmas and 5 EEs. It is going to hurt giving up the others.... but until my new henhouse is built I don't want to crowd my gals.

When we picked up the Cackle staffer told us they just hatched this morning and instructed us to withold food and water tonight and start feeding tomorrow. They are at the correct temp according to Cackle (98 F) and their movement/spatial pattern looks correct for comfortable chicks, but man they are peeping insanely! The brooder is other side of the wall from my bedroom, so I'm thinking a sleeping pill is called for tonight. These are the youngest chicks I've ever had, last year's two batches were 1 week and a few days old, respectively, when I got them.

So, since I did the pick up I am choosing the EEs I want to keep! I have never had them before, but it appears I've got a few grays or blues, a few wheatens, and a bunch of little chipmunks! Anyone want to weigh in on what they'll look like as adults and vote for which 5 I should keep? I have provided a handy marked up photo for your reference:
7546_chicks_color.jpg

PS Camera strap is in the way b/c my 3 year old toook this photo:)

Awwww, how sweet. I just got my chicks at 3am this morning. Im exhausted but happy. I will post a pic of my chicks later when i have more energy. I have 6 EE' and I just made sure that each one looked very different. I am hoping for blue, green and pink eggs!! Ive got to go get a nap.
sickbyc.gif

Last edited:
They are sooo cute! I am not sure I could give any up!
droolin.gif
If I had to pick I would say G, A, D, E and the one the letter F is touching.
jumpy.gif

I would keep the greatest variety! for mine, I did the same thing, and I kept three little "chipmunks" - one was much lighter than the rest. One that was wheaten, and that was dark, chocolate brown, like the one between A & G. That one has turned into my favorite of all my 15 chicks (I also have Marans and BOs). Good luck to you!

Cuteness! Hmmm.... E, G, B, D, the bottom one on F, and A. That's 6... lol. Ok, either G or the bottom F plus E, G, B, and D. That's what I'd pick. I see you got a couple roos too. They're all so cute. I can't wait to start hatching!

Back
Top Bottom