look who wandered onto my property!!! updated pics at end

newchickowner

Songster
12 Years
Aug 19, 2007
Texas
My dogs were barking like crazy toward the back of the property, so I got out my binoculars and it looked like a dog possibly stuck in the fence. My two year old was taking his nap so I chanced walking out there to take a closer look. I can't help it, I'm an animal lover. This is what I find:
Oct15394.jpg

Oct15396.jpg

Isn't she just adorable!!! She popped her head out of the sunflowers and I could just see her. Not knowing if she was friendly or not I started talking to her. She started bounding toward me and as she got about 25 feet away she was "army" crawling toward me. I walked with her up toward the house, she seems thrilled to have human company! But stopped while I was still inside the pasture and called for my 6 year old to bring me a leash. My chickens free range and I didn't know if she would attack them. Of course they knew of her and were making their way around to the front of the house where she couldn't see them. I put her in my smaller dog pen I'm using as a second coop. She ate plenty and drank plenty like she's very hungry and thirsty, but she's not too skinny. I think she may have been dumped. No collar, so I drew a sign on the back of a piece of plywood leftover from building my coop and put it out by the road. The chickens came back around to the back to inspect and the dog didn't seem to care, she just layed at the back of the coop and went to sleep. Honestly, I sort of hope she isn't claimed. I've always wanted an Australian Shepard and she's a beauty!

Last edited:
oh yes!!! I called my b/f after I got her settled in and he was like so what are you gonna do with your other dogs!
lol.png
I said "didn't you know I was a not-for-profit animal rescue facility?" He wasn't mad really, but I could imagine him rolling his eyes that I "brought home another one!"
gig.gif

Absolutely beautiful, I have wanted a Australina Sheperd all my life also they are smart, inteligent, quiet little dogs.

What a great save.

Hope she doesnt get claimed she looks like she could use a loving person like you, anyone here could tell that by lookin in those pitifull dog eyes, man only if I was that lucky!.

Oh she's so pretty! And such a sweet expression on her face! She doesn't look like she's been on her own for too long, though. She's a good dog, you can just tell.

Luckily you!!! I have had 3 aussies and they are the best ever!!!! My rescue was the most wonderful I ever had. One thing about that breed is that are very grateful and know you rescued them.

My aunt had a mini aussie and she was the sweetest thing ever!!! She was excellent with the horses, never left a mark on their fetlocks (important if you show, marks can cause you a first place ribbon!) but she's the reason I rehabilitated a squirrel! She was carrying something around for most of the morning, staying away from the other dogs and if they came near her she growled and made them stay away. Finally my aunt went over to see what she had and it was an infant squirrel! How sweet, this one seems as sweet.

I watched from inside what mama hen would do since her coop was occupied. I moved her box she's been using to the large coop and went in the house to wait till dusk and have been watching outside my window while they figure it all out.

Here's a pic, I zoomed in as far as I could so you can see that the chicks and mama try to understand that they've been evicted!
Oct15397.jpg

Mama did finally take the babies into their box in the big coop and everyone's settled for the night. What a great pup!

Back
Top Bottom