Lookie what I did today!

micstrachan

Addict
8 Years
Apr 10, 2016
Santa Cruz Mountains, California
First, please know my carpentry skills are terrible and I’m doing this work myself (with the exception of the coop, which you can see is a modified play structure and a carpenter added walls and a roof. Don’t worry; that top story without ventilation I use as a shed for my tools and chicken supplies.:))

So for those of you with beautiful built-from-scratch set-ups, no judgement allowed. :)

Anyway, when I first started keeping chickens 2 1/2 years ago, I didn’t know any better and built the run out of chicken wire. Over the past several weeks, I recovered all the walls and the ceiling with 1/2 inch hardware cloth (by myself!)

I’m in California, so the weather is mild and I really don’t need a covered run. However, I do like to cover it in the heat of summer and when rainy season comes. When I had chicken wire, the tarp and wire would sag under the weight of the water. Now that the run is recovered and rainy season will (hopefully) come soon, I did a new tarp with a taut line so it is pitched. I still need to pick up some more eye bolts and carabiners so it stays a little tighter, but here’s how it looks right now. It makes it super dark underneath, but since the sun is low, the sunlight comes in sideways, so I think they will still get sunshine in the morning.

844AFA0E-3A97-4A83-B369-0081E772D552.jpeg

Well done! I am also carpentry challenged, so I feel your pain and share your fear of judgment! I love what you've done - I love your whole setup, really.

If you find that it is too dark, I am certain you will make adjustments. You are clearly very resourceful! :)

Wow, really nice! I'm in CA too. We can get away with a little more when it comes to the weather. :highfive:

Heck yes! I am in Cali - the Central Valley. No snow for us, but - oh - the heat! I am TIRED of 80s and 90s. Bring on the sweater, scarf, and boot weather, please! And the rain! Make no mistake - I KNOW how fortunate we are!

Heck yes! I am in Cali - the Central Valley. No snow for us, but - oh - the heat! I am TIRED of 80s and 90s. Bring on the sweater, scarf, and boot weather, please! And the rain! Make no mistake - I KNOW how fortunate we are!
It must still be pretty warm there! I was in capris and a halter top until close to sunset. Crazy! My daughter was at the beach in a bikini last night!

Back
Top Bottom