Looking For Advice and/or Tips

KikiDeAnime

Spooky
6 Years
Dec 29, 2017
Battle Ground, WA
I've been doing a lot of research about raising ducks for a couple months now and I plan on buying 2 Runner ducklings from our local feed store for my older brother as early birthday gifts. He's been always talking about wanting to get ducks.

I plan on building an area for them to live. I wanted to do a big area but because we live next to a bunch of neighbors, I can't.

The ducklings are actually going to be a big surprise for my family. I know that I'll get yelled out at first by my parents because they have constantly told me no about getting ducks due to our town's noise law. We currently have chickens and they make a bunch of noise all day but we've never been called on other than when we've accidentally ended up with roosters. I'm sure as long as we keep them happy, they'll be quiet enough to keep us from being called on.

What are some tips or some advice you can offer me?
What feed do they eat?
Which is better, drakes or ducks?(Noise related)

lose the roosters. rocking the boat with neighbors suck. One call and their laughing at you

Male ducks are quieter and my female duck is quieter than my hens

whats your chicken coop and run like?

whats your chicken coop and run like?
We're currently in the process of building a coop out of our old swing set.

The older flock has a coop that looks like this:
cc1ddf2d-8a9d-4b1d-88f9-3c9a033caa03_1.72fe482f3d73538531f0cab7c8539bf9.jpeg

Total crap in my opinion as its now falling apart. We keep having to fix parts of it.

Our 3 pullets live in a coop that looks like this:
30ab8a8b-8593-4113-a4b6-4d467f6eeb04_1.40448888e6b47f2bb8308699e9dd0711.jpeg

Our new Silkie pullets & cockerels are getting their own shelter built today(or tomorrow). The Silkie cockerels have collars on to quiet them down so we can keep them.

All the flocks's coops are in covered fenced yards.

Runners are sweet and funny birds. They also require a lot of activity and stimulation - if they don't get it, they may get loud... They'll need some space to forage and swim time regularly so hopefully you can provide that for them. I hope you're prepared for the mess - because they are really really messy! They make up for the mess by being excellent sources of entertainment and love. :love My number one thing though- if your parents put their feet down and say no even after you bring them home, please post here on BYC to have them rehomed! Despite what people think, domestic birds CAN NOT survive/thrive in the wild or in public parks where they often get dumped... And don't forget to share pics of the babies when you get them!

I have never owned chickens but do currently have runner ducks. They are the cutest things ever but can be super loud. We have raised two sets of ducklings and they have both gone through a phase after they are fully feathered and before they start laying eggs where they yell about everything. We lucked out that no neighbors complained.
They are so much quieter now but we keep them on a pretty strict schedule. Routine is super important for our ducks. I'm pretty sure they can tell time because they will let us know if we are late for afternoon snacks, bedtime etc.
I wish I had a video I could share to show them at full volume. I would hate for you to get ducks and have to rehome due to complaints by neighbors.
Drakes are much quieter than girls. If you keep them happy and occupied they will be more content. Also, our ducks spend a majority of their day in and out of their pool, they are so happy when they can splash around and swim.
Messy little poop monsters but we love them! :)

I have never owned chickens but do currently have runner ducks. They are the cutest things ever but can be super loud. We have raised two sets of ducklings and they have both gone through a phase after they are fully feathered and before they start laying eggs where they yell about everything. We lucked out that no neighbors complained.
They are so much quieter now but we keep them on a pretty strict schedule. Routine is super important for our ducks. I'm pretty sure they can tell time because they will let us know if we are late for afternoon snacks, bedtime etc.
I wish I had a video I could share to show them at full volume. I would hate for you to get ducks and have to rehome due to complaints by neighbors.
Drakes are much quieter than girls. If you keep them happy and occupied they will be more content. Also, our ducks spend a majority of their day in and out of their pool, they are so happy when they can splash around and swim.
Messy little poop monsters but we love them! :)
Routine is everything! Great point!

I've been doing a lot of research about raising ducks for a couple months now and I plan on buying 2 Runner ducklings from our local feed store for my older brother as early birthday gifts. He's been always talking about wanting to get ducks.

I plan on building an area for them to live. I wanted to do a big area but because we live next to a bunch of neighbors, I can't.

The ducklings are actually going to be a big surprise for my family. I know that I'll get yelled out at first by my parents because they have constantly told me no about getting ducks due to our town's noise law. We currently have chickens and they make a bunch of noise all day but we've never been called on other than when we've accidentally ended up with roosters. I'm sure as long as we keep them happy, they'll be quiet enough to keep us from being called on.

What are some tips or some advice you can offer me?
What feed do they eat?
Which is better, drakes or ducks?(Noise related)
I have 2 runners, and the female is REALLY loud.

So sorry for the late response guys! I was helping my dad build extra shelters for our chickens because of winter storm heading our way. We also built a heated shelter for our outdoor mouser cat since he hates indoors.

Don't worry too much about the ducklings! There's a few local farms that will take them if we're unable to keep them. I've planned stuff out already.

I'm currently the one who's in charge of taking care of our animals so a routine is important to me. We lost a hen 2 years ago because I didn't have a certain routine. I still don't really like talking about what happened to it so please don't ask.

I'll definitely be posting photos of them!

I have a routine too. I have a lot of birds so I have a lot of work. Currently I'm giving the coops a fresh coat of paint on the outside.

Back
Top Bottom