Looking for advice please. On day 25, loads of movement in eggs but no pips!

Lach

In the Brooder
Mar 25, 2023
Hello! Newly joined and hoping for some advice. I have a broody silkie who has been sitting on 8 eggs. Yesterday was day 24 so I decided to candle before giving up, I could see movement in 3 so popped them back with the broody the other 5 no movement, opened them up and 3 were non starters and 2 had dead chicks 😔 with quite alot of unobsorbed yolk - looked to be at around the 16/17 day mark from what I have found online.
Looking for advice, I know 25 day's is very late but there is definitely movement in the eggs when candling that's not caused by me moving the eggs but no sign at all of any internal pips, could there be an issue? Or does anyone have experience of a successful hatch this late? We had some really cold weather for a number if days end of week 1 of her sitting so wondering if that could have delayed things? Thanks 😊

Had a quick look under her this morning and have an external pip and lots of chirping so looking hopeful 🤞🏻🥰
I'm sure due to the markings I put on them it's the ones she started with and she has been on them steady since 27th/28th of Feb so had expected them to hatch almost a week ago! Really cant beleive it!
Can only assume the cold weather or something else has delayed them 🤔

Thank you! Definitely not muddled up as I had marked them with sharpie the day they went under and no ducks.
I went out this morning to recandle as was starting to doubt myself about seeing the movement if they looked like they weren't as far on and one has internally peeped and is chirping 🥳😍. This is day 26! 😯

Anytime I've had chicks hatch this late, they needed help. Often they had problems afterwards, too. Are you quite sure of when the broody started sitting on them in earnest? Remember, you don't count the first day - and broody hens will often spend a few days collecting the number of eggs they want before they hunker down for the long haul, and incubation starts.

Yes, the cold weather might have delayed them a day or two.

It might help you to read this article:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/guide-to-assisted-hatching-for-all-poultry.72886/

Could you post a picture of candling
Could any other eggs have been added to this nest after she did sit ?
If it was really cold it may have caused her not to heat to the temp she needed and may cause delays in hatching
If you can still see veins and movement then don’t give up :)

Thankyou i am keeping up some hope at the moment.
Sorry I can't get great pictures of the candling at all but here is one of each egg, 2 I am positive I have seen movement in this morning...

There were extra eggs added whilst another was laying near her but I had marked the ones she was sitting on once she started to properly sit and removed any others as and when she got up so am sure these were all started together.

Attachments

• IMG-20230325-WA0002.jpg
    IMG-20230325-WA0002.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG-20230325-WA0004.jpg
    IMG-20230325-WA0004.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG-20230325-WA0005.jpg
    IMG-20230325-WA0005.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 19
Thankyou i am keeping up some hope at the moment.
Sorry I can't get great pictures of the candling at all but here is one of each egg, 2 I am positive I have seen movement in this morning...

There were extra eggs added whilst another was laying near her but I had marked the ones she was sitting on once she started to properly sit and removed any others as and when she got up so am sure these were all started together.
I can still see a bit of room to fill in the egg
Maybe the cold did cause a little delay
Do you see shadowing along the air cell on the lower end of it ?

Back
Top Bottom