Looking for breed suggestions for friend

Great layers and rare breed do not belong in the same sentence. They are rare for a reason and usually it starts because they are poor or below average layers. People do not want to spend the money on a subpar producer.
I think your friend is better off starting with a mixed hatcherey flock. Test the water and commitment (and security!). First timers all lose birds and better to learn on a $4 chick and not a $40 one.
Putting together a quality breeding flock takes time. Where is she going to source birds? Who is her market? What breeds are best for your climate? Don't chase the fads. They quickly exhibit genetic flaws due to limited gene pool.

Great layers and rare breed do not belong in the same sentence. They are rare for a reason and usually it starts because they are poor or below average layers. People do not want to spend the money on a subpar producer.
I think your friend is better off starting with a mixed hatcherey flock. Test the water and commitment (and security!). First timers all lose birds and better to learn on a $4 chick and not a $40 one.
Putting together a quality breeding flock takes time. Where is she going to source birds? Who is her market? What breeds are best for your climate? Don't chase the fads. They quickly exhibit genetic flaws due to limited gene pool.
True, rare breeds are most often not good layers. I'll rephrase, she is looking for uncommon and desired, not rare. That makes more sense.

She is responsible, and because she is moving her chickens will be housed on my property I will be able check in on them. She is researching a lot and has helped me with my chickens. I am very confident in her abilities.

Good point about the breeding flock. That is definitely something to consider. However, both of us are aiming for breeder quality, not show. Our climate has plenty of hot and cold, so we are going for all climate tolerance. Her market is for people who want to show and eggs. We are searching for some good sources in preparation for spring.

Thank you for the questions, it really made me think! :highfive:

Oh, I know she likes the look Wyandottes. Thanks for the idea!

I like selling chicks strait run so I don't have to deal with too chicks, but thank you. I will definitely look into Olive Eggers!

Autosexing breeds sold as chicks can make for ending up with a pile of cockerels nobody wants to buy, which is a problem if you're not going to make use of them. I know someone locally stopped hatching her autosexing breeds to sell as chicks, but will sell them as fertile eggs for those wishing to hatch. i.e. you get what you get when you hatch them in your own incubator as opposed to having all the pullets sell out and being left with the cockerels.

Autosexing breeds sold as chicks can make for ending up with a pile of cockerels nobody wants to buy, which is a problem if you're not going to make use of them. I know someone locally stopped hatching her autosexing breeds to sell as chicks, but will sell them as fertile eggs for those wishing to hatch. i.e. you get what you get when you hatch them in your own incubator as opposed to having all the pullets sell out and being left with the cockerels.
Yes, I agree. I meant to say "male" in that post but it auto-corrected to "too". :confused:

Back
Top Bottom