Looking for info on mink

Mink are EXTREMELY territorial. Depending on the sex of the mink and the food supply of the minks' territory, a mink will occupy a territory of anywhere from 5 acres up to several thousand acres. While they like to forage along the banks of streams, mink are not strictly aquatic. In the past I have suffered loses to mink without a river or significant stream anywhere near. I know that the varmint was a mink because the evidence was waiting for me the next morning in a steel trap.

Interesting, I thought mink were only around water sources. Yet another reason to not trust everything you read on the internet! Thank you all for the info and advice. I will start covering everything in hardware cloth as money allows.

Every state around here anyway has restricted season for fur bearing animals. You can't or should I say it's unlawful to kill them willy nilly. Again, states around here have exception and allow killing of protected animals if they are attacking livestock. Just saying you should be aware of your Fish and Game regulations.

I shot a mink this spring in broad daylight that was attacking my birds. Was a ruckus going on and on inspection had to chase the mink off my best cockbird. Found my pellet gun fast enough but took a while to find ammo...by the time I got back to the yard it had killed a hen. Fearless critters, I was 10 ft from it but it wouldn't leave it's kill. Ran around the coop but would come back. Made for an easy shot.

Back
Top Bottom