looking for new breeds

i have a flock of bantams and i am looking for some new breeds (preferably large fowl) that are better layers. right now im just looking for some different breeds before the chicks are back in stock at the feed stores. what do you recomend, and what experiences do you have with these breeds?

edit- photos would be great to help me decide
If you want big, beautiful white eggs you can't go wrong with White LegHorns. Mine have been laying straight from early April.

i have definitely been considering leghorns, they are on the smaller side so they would fit in nicely with my bantam flock
They will surprise you with the size of their eggs compared to their body size, I have one I call Little Bit. I bet she doesn't weight more than 3-4 pounds. I got her last September "19 and she was laying then.

If Eggs are what you want, and you aren't picky, I'm going to recommend the crossbreed Golden "Comets". Moderately small birds, 3.5 - 5.5#, sex link so you will buy only hens, early layers (between week 16 and 20). Large eggs, medium brown in color, almost every day.

Sadly, pumping that many large eggs out, that soon, with a relatively small frame mean these are associated with relatively short productive spans - around 2 years - and total lifespans (around 4 years) as well.

1607636254568.png

Mine came from Hoover Hatchery by way of TSC. There's some dispute about the genetics (because of course there is!) and whether its a cross of New Hampshire and a White Rock, or a Rhode Island and a Leghorn, but in any event, its a red sex link, so you won't accidentally end up with cockerels, even if you buy from TSC, and they are available from plenty of other hatcheries besides, if you like Cackle Hatchery for instance.

This is one of the "breeds" used for commercial egg laying, there's no broodiness in the genes. If mine could walk and drop an egg at the same time, they'd give it no more attention than a quiet fart.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom