Looking for reference photos of a behavior

mozartofsilence

In the Brooder
5 Years
May 3, 2014
Davis
Hello! I am a scientific illustration student, and I am doing a project where I am depicting an extinct animal. I was wondering if anyone has some photos of their chickens using their leg to scratch their heads or necks? Its been surprisingly difficult to find!
I will not be using the photos for anything but references to draw from and build a model of my nanuqsaurus.

Thank you for any help!

It'd be hard to get a photo of that because they are moving and that turns it into a blurry photo.

You might be better looking at videos and when you see someone doing it, pause and make your sketch from the still of the video?

Thats a great idea! I've found a couple - however when you search for 'chicken scratching' it brings up a lot of foraging chickens. I'll keep digging through though.

Thats a great idea! I've found a couple - however when you search for 'chicken scratching' it brings up a lot of foraging chickens. I'll keep digging through though.
Yes, it's not really "a thing" that you'd expect people to tag. Does it have to be a chicken doing it? My cocky (galah) does it, you might find it more easily in a parrot video, although if you want it side-on, you might not get it there, either.

Yes, it's not really "a thing" that you'd expect people to tag. Does it have to be a chicken doing it? My cocky (galah) does it, you might find it more easily in a parrot video, although if you want it side-on, you might not get it there, either.

I'm illustrating Nanuqsaurus which is a type of tyrannosaur, and chickens are usually a great reference for the legs. I find the articulation of the toes on parrots and other perching birds to be difficult to translate to what I need. It was a bit of a long shot but I figured if I were to find them they would be here!

and other perching birds to be difficult to translate to what I need.
aah, gotcha. I do think my chicken's feet are way more overtly "dinosaur" than my other birds.

Quote:
Don't give up yet, just because I am incapable of taking photo of anything moving doesn't mean we don't have somebody with a better camera and an obliging "stunt chook"

Thanks! that is actually VERY helpful for my leg sketches.

In case anyone was interested it what this was going to become

We are learning to make a maquette to draw from,
he isn't quite finished and I'm going to heat him up to fiddle with the post a little bit more and add the chicken leg look to his limbs

Last edited:
"Adorable" isn't the right word, is it?
lol.png
That's what I think of him/her, anyway. The expression on the head gives him life. How big were they in real life? Cute little things, or T-Rex, get outta-my-way size?

Back
Top Bottom