Looking for some advice!!

AllyZoo

Hatching
May 25, 2015
North West UK
Hey BYC People!! I'm Alex and I'm leaving school in a few days.

I'm doing Animal Management in college and looking into pets to observe/study and note their development.
In the past i've studied tadpoles and other bugs but i'm thinking of some form of mammal which isn't your bog standard dog or hamster.
I was thinking of getting a chicken, maybe two. (I haven't even asked my parents yet ;/) to study and care to write in my CV (as a future zookeeper, i need multiple skills such as writing data and evidence of being indulged in animals.

Would you recommend a chick or not? I probably would give the chicken away when it has started laying and such to the local farm down the road.

Thanks for reading!!
-AllyZoo

Edited by Staff

Last edited by a moderator:
If they are legal to own where you live and you can line up a home for them after you are done studying them (I say them because you really need to get at least two, they are flock animals) and are willing to properly care for them I don't see why you shouldn't. Just be aware that you may end up with roosters, and those are much harder to find homes for, so you need to take that into account. They also grow very quickly, so you need to have a place to put them after they outgrow the brooder if you plan to keep them until laying age, which isn't until five or six months of age.

Also, if you want to do a mammal, then you don't want to do chickens - they aren't mammals :)

welcome-byc.gif

well, chickens are very interesting creatures. I have learned a ton when caring for and raising chickens and other animals. I would get more than one since chickens are very social creatures and fail to thrive when kept in solitude.

Even if you will be giving it away once it reaches laying age, that is still a large chicken and you will need a large area for him. I have kept birds in dog kennels in the house, but if you don't plan on building an outdoor enclosure, i would get s a couple bantams. They are half sized chickens, and if eggs are not your purpose, then they would work well for you. oh, and if you have a yard, i would let them outside when you are home and outside with them. You would most likely learn more by seeing them doing what comes naturally to them. Don't let them in the garden though, they will destroy it
wink.png

A reptile is another animal that i have enjoyed studying a lot...they are quite interesting. I have no plans about college or anything, i just am that weird person that has way to many animals and studies them for fun. Trust me, my parents are incredible to let me have as many animals as i do. I have over 80 different animals and am also 15, lol
tongue.png

by leaving school do you mean for the summer or are you graduating HS?

If they are legal to own where you live and you can line up a home for them after you are done studying them (I say them because you really need to get at least two, they are flock animals) and are willing to properly care for them I don't see why you shouldn't. Just be aware that you may end up with roosters, and those are much harder to find homes for, so you need to take that into account. They also grow very quickly, so you need to have a place to put them after they outgrow the brooder if you plan to keep them until laying age, which isn't until five or six months of age.

Also, if you want to do a mammal, then you don't want to do chickens - they aren't mammals
smile.png
Thanks for the reply!!
People on my street have chickens in their front garden, not sure if they're legal or not though
idunno.gif

I'd probably keep them in an old indoor rabbit hutch until they are ready and probably move them into the shed in the back afterwards.

welcome-byc.gif

well, chickens are very interesting creatures. I have learned a ton when caring for and raising chickens and other animals. I would get more than one since chickens are very social creatures and fail to thrive when kept in solitude.

Even if you will be giving it away once it reaches laying age, that is still a large chicken and you will need a large area for him. I have kept birds in dog kennels in the house, but if you don't plan on building an outdoor enclosure, i would get s a couple bantams. They are half sized chickens, and if eggs are not your purpose, then they would work well for you. oh, and if you have a yard, i would let them outside when you are home and outside with them. You would most likely learn more by seeing them doing what comes naturally to them. Don't let them in the garden though, they will destroy it
wink.png

A reptile is another animal that i have enjoyed studying a lot...they are quite interesting. I have no plans about college or anything, i just am that weird person that has way to many animals and studies them for fun. Trust me, my parents are incredible to let me have as many animals as i do. I have over 80 different animals and am also 15, lol
tongue.png

by leaving school do you mean for the summer or are you graduating HS?
I'm just graduating HS. In the past i've had a reputation of keeping too many animals therefore scared of asking my parents.
My dad is a gardener also so i don't think he'll even let them on the lawn... I'd probably have to make some form of run or outdoor enclosure for them.

I'm just graduating HS. In the past i've had a reputation of keeping too many animals therefore scared of asking my parents.
My dad is a gardener also so i don't think he'll even let them on the lawn... I'd probably have to make some form of run or outdoor enclosure for them.
that's awesome that you are graduating! lol, yes a run would be best if you don't want the yard ripped up :p

welcome-byc.gif
Welcome to BYC Alex!!
welcome-byc.gif

I'm glad you joined the flock!!
wee.gif

Many adventures await you and your flock. If you have any questions, feel free to ask around!!
big_smile.png

D.gif
jumpy.gif
-Turkenstein25
jumpy.gif
D.gif

I too think bantams would be best. Eat less, poop less, make less noise, are adorable so easier to find homes for them later. Small enough to make house pets. There is a thread called "people with house chickens." Sometimes that is the only way to sneak some in. Bantams are about the size of a medium parrot.

Back
Top Bottom