Looking for some shipping advice (money related, not packing related)

Quote:
They don't ship them to your house? Mine come right to my house, the mailman even drives up the 1/4 mile driveway to deliver them so I don't have to pack them up from the box
smile.png

Quote:
You have to ask to have them weighed and if the weight charge is cheaper then the flat rate charge - they will only charge you that. But you do have to ask them.

Flat rate boxes are free, I was quoted a fee for the others. Maybe because my local PO is so teeny, they have a stocking charge if others can get other boxes free. I don't know. I can ask. All I know is when I wanted a box, the clerk was going to charge me for a box, told me I could have all the flat rate boxes I wanted free, and that she could weigh it and charge less if it turned out to be less. And that they liked the flat rate boxes because they went right through the machines and didn't need to be handled - as opposed to any random box I might come up with which may have needed to be handled at any number of steps.

I've never shipped eggs, but my family and I are forever sending packages to each other and we have the flat rate boxes weighed and pay the lesser of the 2 charges. Sometimes the flat rate, sometimes not. Just thought someone might find that info helpful. Especially as there are gremlins in a nearby shipping hub and the less I need to have my packages touched by them (as opposed to just sliding through the conveyors) - the better they get there!!

RiverOtter- That is the exception and NOT the rule.

I ship and recieve LOTS of boxes of aquarium fish a year. I have only one time recieved a Flat Rate box that the shipper had paid the weighed price instead of the flat rate price, and I was charged by my local PO for the difference. In the past year the PO has started printing on the inside of the flat rate boxes to prevent people from turning them inside out and using the free boxes for weighted shipping.

ALL priority boxes should be free, regardless of Flat Rate or not. If it is printed by the USPS as a priority mail box, it should be free. They have a bunch of sizes available online if you want to order from them.

Quote:
You have to ask to have them weighed and if the weight charge is cheaper then the flat rate charge - they will only charge you that. But you do have to ask them.

Flat rate boxes are free, I was quoted a fee for the others. Maybe because my local PO is so teeny, they have a stocking charge if others can get other boxes free. I don't know. I can ask. All I know is when I wanted a box, the clerk was going to charge me for a box, told me I could have all the flat rate boxes I wanted free, and that she could weigh it and charge less if it turned out to be less. And that they liked the flat rate boxes because they went right through the machines and didn't need to be handled - as opposed to any random box I might come up with which may have needed to be handled at any number of steps.

I've never shipped eggs, but my family and I are forever sending packages to each other and we have the flat rate boxes weighed and pay the lesser of the 2 charges. Sometimes the flat rate, sometimes not. Just thought someone might find that info helpful. Especially as there are gremlins in a nearby shipping hub and the less I need to have my packages touched by them (as opposed to just sliding through the conveyors) - the better they get there!!

All of the boxes are free, check the usps website. You do have to order the others, they don't often carry those at the post office. If they are trying to charge you for the other boxes I'd call the hotline number on the website.

Quote:
They don't ship them to your house? Mine come right to my house, the mailman even drives up the 1/4 mile driveway to deliver them so I don't have to pack them up from the box
smile.png

Oh sure they will, I just go there so much during the spring so pick them up. Plus they could get wet setting at my house.

Don't understand them letting people use flat rate boxes and paid by weight......the new flat rate boxes are even print on the inside, because people were turning them inside out , to ship cheaper. Guess depends on post office.

Quote:
Order here

https://shop.usps.com/webapp/wcs/st...category_rn=10000002&top=&currentPage=3&sort=

While you are at it, order the free stickers and other supplies such as DC labels. You can use the stickers to tape the box shut, and DC labels to save steps! It really has saved me a lot of money!

DC Labels? And I assume you mean the priority mail labels for 'stickers'? Those don't stick all that well, I wouldn't close a box entirely with those. If you're worried about expense, just use the 'handling' portion of your shipping charges to allow for materials like bubble wrap and tape
wink.png

Quote:
smile.png

Oh sure they will, I just go there so much during the spring so pick them up. Plus they could get wet setting at my house.

Don't understand them letting people use flat rate boxes and paid by weight......the new flat rate boxes are even print on the inside, because people were turning them inside out , to ship cheaper. Guess depends on post office.

I had forgotten about them printing the insides of the boxes. I wouldn't bother trying to have a flat rate box weighed since the others are lots bigger
smile.png

I charge $12 for shipping because it costs me between $7 and $10 to ship plus cartons, bubble wrap, and any other materials. That comes out around $12 so I stick with that. I use the priority mail boxes based off weight and distance. The flat rates are not a good size. The small boxes will fit about a dozen, possibly a few more, and the mediums are too expensive. It cost me $14 to ship it. Flat rate nothing.

Back
Top Bottom