Looking for Toy Poodle or Yorkie stud

Not getting into the greater debate, but please be sure that any stud dog you use has the health-screening and genetic testing that is appropriate for the breed (for toy poodles, for example, that would be a current CERF test, a DNA test for prcd-PRA, and an OFA certificate for patellar luxation, at the minimum), and that that information is publicly recorded.

Obviously, the same should go for the prospective dam.

Quote:
Holy heck! That's amazing!!! I'd be owner to a lot more rescues and dogs in general if the prices were like that here! WOW! They range from $60 up to $300 or so here, depending what breed, rescue, organization, etc.

Well, most of the time when the shelter adoption fee is $20 and under, you just get the dog with a rabies tag. Whereas other shelters who have an adoption fee of $60 or more, usually spay and get the dog up to date on shots.

Anyway, if you locate a stud, please be sure to have him health and genetic screened. You also want to speak to his vet and make sure he has no hidden health costs. ALSO, if you are planning to breed your dog, "pre-sell" the puppies, if you cannot get more than 4 interested buyers, please reconsider breeding your dog. Many top and responsible breeders have litters prebooked several liters in advance, sometimes even before the grump in question is bred.

All in all, I cannot help you in your search for a stud.

Quote:
I have had people waiting almost three years now for puppies from my champion Gabby. We haven't been showing in that time, so we haven't been breeding. And I'll need to have all her testing updated when the time comes, too!

Quote:
It does totally vary by each place and I hate that. I know the rescues are different than the shelters. The shelters spay/neuter and that's included in the cost. Most of the rescues locally, the price does not include spay/neuter, but you have to sign a contract agreeing to so it's $60-150 (depending on if it's a breed they think they can get more for) not inc. the spay/neuter.

Are there any other small breeds you may be interested in? I know of someone with a Chinese Crested male here in TN that will possibly be traveling into NC and she will probably let you use him. Not sure if you have a perticular time frame in mind.

Boy, if I was the OP, I'd sure think twice about posting a simple question again!
hide.gif

I know i have heard all about mixes and designer dogs and shelters and so on. I just wanted to breed her once and she is small and probably have a small litter and i am keeping at least one puppy. Thank you to the people who responded to the post.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom