Looking to add to my flock

Of the breeds that I've had this spring, (Dominique, BSL, RIR, EE) I found that the RIR have been the most aggressive, the BSL, Doms, and EE have been friendly and not aggressive. My best 2 egg layers are BSL and RIR, neither one has missed a day in 2 weeks). EE are giving me 6 eggs/week. I don't have a laying history for the Doms as they ended up being all roosters... I guess I could say that my Doms were pretty poor layers!! Check out Henderson's chicken breed chart.
That's odd that the RIRs are aggressive, but I guess it all depends on the chicken. I have buttercups which everyone says are flight but mine are friendly, not like my RIR but they don't freak out when I'm in the pen

Larger breeds often are the friendliest. However, both of the Easter Eggers I've had have been very flighty and avoid people. Be careful with Rhode Island reds, the roosters are notoriously aggressive and if you get chicks you might end up with a cockerel. Orpingtons, with the right amount of attention, turn out to be very loving and productive hens. I would say my personal favorite though would be brahmas. After all, brahmas are named after a type of monk. They are very calm and patient. They have one major downfall; they aren't very smart. :/

Back
Top Bottom