Looks Like a Boy, Clucks Like a Girl?? [Lost of Photos]

OlyChickenGuy

Songster
Aug 5, 2010
Olympia, Washington
EDIT: Thank you for those showing concern and GIVING ADVICE ON HOW TO MAKE THINGS BETTER - Y'know, instead of just making assumptions. Sindri was given a bath immediately after these photos were taken, and I have taken him with me for Thanksgiving Day Weekend. He's perked up quite a bit just travelling - he's holding his tail higher, he's kept himself clean, he's had an increased interest in eating and drinking, etc.... He's always been a whole lot happier and perkier when it's just him and me. I would love to take current photos of him to compare, but all I have is a mediocre-at-best web-camera on my laptop that only works some of the time to begin with.

So, I have a chicken that looks like a boy, but has a few quirky characteristics, and has started making those pre-egg-laying screeches that my girls in-lay make, and recently begun doing "egg-squats"! I'm also not 100% on his breed. I wish we got photos of his mate before she passed away, but alas we did not! They look liked Japanese to me - and VERY distinctly like an immature pairing ( about five months old, I guessed ), except the girl had muffs and five toes on each foot like a Silkie or a Sultan - but clean-legged! She had the same colouration as Sindri here. I came into possession of Sindri when his mate passed away, and he's been a little buddy of mine ever since. He even goes travelling with me!

But enough of that! I apologize for how disgustingly dirty he is in the following photos - he likes to muck around in gross things, and I gave him a bath shortly afterwards, but my friend with the camera was leaving in minutes, so we had to hurry and take pictures.

So, you tell me! Boy or girl? Looks like a boy, and he's crowed twice - but ONLY twice in his life, and not even recently. He crowed when I first got him and forgot to put him on his perch one night, and he crowed a second time in response to me listening to a recording of a multitude of roosters crowing. Otherwise, he's nearly silent. He's never mounted any of his flock-mates, unlike my Rhode Island ( 1/4 barred Plymouth Rock ) boy, who likes to mate whenever the opportunity arises. He is so passive, that he's been beat up by day-old chicks! He also loves falling asleep on my chest, and makes little cooing / purring noises when he's really getting into me petting him.

Note: His comb, wattles, and spur buds haven't grown AT ALL since I met him.

Anyway, here's the pictures!

Look at those neck feathers, those saddle feathers, those sickle feathers! I can't tell if the lump on the back of his leg is his back toe or a spur bud, but he has tiny spur buds. But he's got a tiny comb and itty wattles that are generally a light pinkish colour, even when he spends a good deal of time outside. He should be about eight months old at my youngest estimate of his age, as I procured him nearly five months ago from an auction in which I estimated him to be four to six months old.. He looked pretty much like this when I got him.
DSCN0912.jpg

Here's his tail! It's quite dirty in this picture, but when clean it's nice and full, and looks pretty much like a Japanese tail should. He doesn't often hold it up, though - he usually holds it down and behind him, just barely not dragging on the ground. He'll hold his tail up when something interesting catches his eye like a beetle or sometimes when I take him to a new environment, and he's begun exploring. Look at those saddle feathers, though!
DSCN0916.jpg

Here's a close-up of his face! For a Japanese he sure has a small comb and wattles. I've entertained the idea, though, considering his mate, that they could have some Favorelles in them, which MIGHT contribute to smaller comb and wattles? His mate certainly had smaller comb and wattles than he.
DSCN0918.jpg

This is a photo of his dirty, dirty foot with a picture that I edited ( yes, in MS Paint - I was also practising line work ) next to it to really show the spur-bud. Unfortunately, the photo did not seem to focus on the spur-bud so much as his foot.
DSCN0923.jpg
DSCN0923ref.jpg

And lastly, a photo of him from above, so you can really see those long, slender, pointy feathers on his neck and rump! Look at how poofy his neck looks - much like the male Japanese, but unlike the female Japanese!
DSCN0924.jpg

AND YET, he has begun making egg-squawks, and doing egg-squats! His comb and wattles are tiny, and his face is pale! At the youngest, he is eight months old!! I procured him nearly fives months ago when he looked more or less like this, and I estimated him being about four to six months old. He is SUPER quiet, really snuggly, and NOT aggressive AT ALL ( which is NOT unheard of for roosters, but still worth noting ). He has shown NO interest in mating, and has not even TRIED to mount any hens or pullets. He also seems to prefer my company and being alone to the company of my other chickens, albeit he connects up with Mop and Liza ( a Sizzle and a Silkie, respectively ) from time to time, hangs out with them, then goes back to hiding in a corner. He was REALLY happen when I took him on a road trip, and then I left him in his kennel when I returned home, facing so he could see the other chickens, and he was totally happy with that. Gained weight, actually!

I love him dearly regardless of what he is, but he is certainly confusing me royally! I hope SOMEONE out there knows what's going on with my little boy! ... Who may or may not ACTUALLY be a boy.

Last edited:
He is defiantly a He. It could be just that he thinks you are the alpha roo if he spends alot of time with you and not with the other chickens. I believe he is a japanese pheonix and i dont believe he is 8 months. I think hes more like 5-6 from the look of his comb, but the spurs are bigger so im not totally sure on that. The whole crowing thing he might just be quiet for now. My oldest roo is almost 5 months and not a single peep out of him and we have roosters crowing all the time around use. When he squats is it only at a specific time or something you when he does, cause if its when you are close to him and go to pick him up or something like that its a sign of submission. My silkie hen does that to me.

I procured Sindri nearly five months ago from an auction, and he looked more or less like this. He is quite a quandary, I must admit. My Rhode Island boys ( had three of them, all brothers ) didn't start crowing until 8-9 months, and I've had a Japanese breeder tell me that Japanese, when not bred with Seramas, and bred true, tend to be pretty quiet.

I have an indoor coop ( my chickens are indoors, and in the process of being pan-trained so that they'll have free-range of my room ), and every now and then I'll hear a "SKWAAA SKWAAA SKWAAA!!" like I hear my girls making before they're about to lay an egg. Sure enough, I looked over and HE was the one Skwa-Skwa-Skwaking. Then - and no one else was in the section of coop he was in - he lifted his wings the slightest bit, pushed his head down, and squatted - ALMOST like he was defecating, but as with my laying hens, he just say there awhile, then did it several more times in the next few minutes while making that skwaking noise.

Oh Godness, I have never seen so much poop on a chicken. I really hope you gave him a bath after as you said. YIKES! Is there any bedding in his coop?

He sounds like an absolute sweetheart!! Post some more pics of him all cleaned up when you get a chance. I'd love to see him all spiffed up!!

I didn't know you could pan train a chicken. How do you do that?

He just may be a late bloomer and like Jferlisi said he might see you as the dominant roo so he's not really exerting himself. I hope once he does he stays sweet for you!

Quote:
I'll guess rooster, based upon appearance. But please say you have bathed him and moved him outside. That is NO life for ANY chicken to be living.

No offense dude, but that's WAY too much poo to have indoors. You need to clean your indoor coop more often. My birds are free range on what's classified as wetlands and they don't look anything like that. Please, esp if they're indoors, it's a health hazard to them and to you.

Back
Top Bottom