Looks Like a Boy, Clucks Like a Girl?? [Lost of Photos]

I clean the coop every few days, and yes, I did give him a bath as I said - I don't know why, but he tends to get dirtier quicker than anyone else. I suspect this has something to do with the fact that he hasn't been using a perch since I moved him from his isolation tank. I've been putting him up each night for awhile, and he's beginning to clue in, but since I got him, he tends to get ridiculously dirty ridiculously fast - NONE of my other chickens look as dirty as him. I think it's because he's so low to the ground?

Yes, they have bedding, and I do take them outside, but I live in a predator-heavy area. Hawks, coyotes, opossums, raccoons, etc., etc.... If I had a camera, I'd take some photos of him today, but all I have is a mediocre webcam. I suppose I could try a little later when the light is better, but as I stated before, when those photos were taken, yes, he WAS very dirty, but compared to any other chicken I've met or dealt with, I have NEVER had a chicken that's as much of a dirt-magnet as him - and that's not just faeces, either. I'm not exaggerating or kidding when I say he'll get that dirty after a few minutes outside... once I convince him that it's okay to move, and people have told me "chickens don't ROLL in stuff like dogs do." I can't help but retort that with, "Then you clearly haven't met MY chicken..."

I don't know what happened to him before I got him, but from the day I got him, he's been quiet, shy, reserved, doesn't like to spend time with the other chickens. He holds his tail low, and scrunches against the ground even for fuzzy chicks. He likes to find a corner and just... stay there, watching the other chickens, then scrunching up when another approaches him, pushing his shoulder against the wall. When I pick him up he makes some disgruntled noises, but puts up no fight whatsoever. Every now and then, he'll flap his wings a couple times and up the ante on his disgruntled noises, but for the most part he just flops. The ONLY thing I've seen him get excited over is chasing bugs, and even then he's cautious, watches them with only one eye, shifts his weight between his feet, and seems to just sit there and think to himself, "Is this a good idea? I don't know... I'm not really sure..." I thought for awhile that he was just apathetic and unhappy, when one day I left for a four-day-weekend, leaving the coop in care of my house mate. When I got back, I found him in a back corner, and I thought he was dead! He was lying on his side covered in faeces, sink and bones, dehydrated - it was awful. I gave him a bath, and cooked him some plain old beans and rice to get some protein into him, and ever since he's gone with me on travels. He GAINED weight the last travel that we went on, and he actually gets excited about going on car rides and on buses - his tail comes up, his head goes up, he starts making curious trilling noises...

The point being - he is a strange little boy with little quirks and nuances that I haven't quite figured out yet... one of which leaves him fairly sedentary ( even when I take him outside, I have to encourage him to explore, elsewise he'll just sit there, wherever I set him down, tuck his head into his dig ruff of neck feathers, like a statue for several minutes, then he'll start making unhappy noises ). I think that sedentary nature also has a lot to do with how dirty he gets, and so quickly... been trying to convince him to be more active, more engaged... like to get up on the perch I gave him, to defecate in a specific area, etc.... Hmm... I'll try to see if I can't get some better photos today, though - I'd have bathed him before taking those photos, but as mentioned, my photographer was leaving in minutes.

As for pan training...

A command word for defecating isn't necessary, but it will make the process easier, in my opinion. Since most people's reaction to finding out that my chickens are indoors is to ask, word-for-word, "What about when they poop?", I opted that "poop" and other common variations were NOT to be their command phrase, but instead they are taught to "go pooters". When given the command "Go pooters" they will generally defecate - if they need to, anyway. The way this is accomplished is by saying the command word or phrase any time that they defecate, and then giving them a reward ( food rewards are wonderful, but general praise and petting tends to get through to them just fine, albeit slower ).

The second step ( or first, if you choose not to go with a command word to defecate ), is to put them in the designated area you want them to defecate when they do, then reward them. You can use a bit of newspaper, a trash can, a pin tin, a litter box, even the toilet or bathtub so long as they're accessible to your chickens. I advise against toilet-training, though, since the lid tends to be slick, and they can fall in - especially if you have bantams or are training chicks, they can drown in the bowl. So whatever you choose, you set them there when they defecate, then reward - if using a command word, continue to use the command word, but hold it until you get to the area you want them to defecate.

Start timing how long it takes between defecations. For a new-born chick, this will be about every fifteen minutes. For an adult, it can be that or even up to a few hours. Since my Rhode Island Red ( 1/4 barred Plymouth Rock ) boy, Bo, has begun his pan-training exercises, he defecates much less frequently and has learned to "hold it" - he'll comfortably go up to five hours before he asks for a bathroom break. And ask he does, with a small, polite noise, and a small wiggle from foot to foot almost like a child's "potty dance".

Once your timing has been established, try to get them to the area that you want them to defecate BEFORE they defecate - and here's where the command word comes in handy. Give them they command word once you get there ( or if no command word, just wait for them to defecate in that area ), then give them a reward for going in that area. This is the wonderful part, because now the chickens are starting to get it, and they'll begin experimenting to see what earns your praise. This works with full-grown, adult chickens as well as chicks - and personally, I've found adults easier to train... except for little Sindri up there. He needs to be approached with a modified style, and each of your chickens will need personalized lesson plans, too, but in a nutshell, that's the road to pan-training your chickens!

Is there any chance he was a housepet before you got him(her)? You say he only perks up when he travels with you. I am wondering if that's what he did with former owner. It would also explain his reluctance to join the flock and anxieties about being outside.

He is a cockerel, and sadly enough his condition reeks of neglect. He is way too filthy, color of his comb indicates anemia. I would guess that he has a heavy worm infestation or is fighting coccidiosis. The reason he is not acting more masculine is because he is sick. Sorry!

It's a good possibility. Japanese tend to have a compromised ability to stay insulated in warm weather, and with their stumpy little legs, it's difficult for them to outrun predators, so they're recommended to be kept as pets and not put in flocks with other breeds. He was initiated through Mop and Liza ( a Sizzle and a Silkie ), though, so he doesn't get picked on much anymore. Sometimes one of the Old English Game bantams bops him, but that's pretty rare.

He and his mate were quite plump when we got them ( bordering overweight ), and smelled like pet shampoo. My housemate actually got them from an auction, put them in with a bunch of day and week-old chicks and a few bunnies. I went in to check on them one day, and found they'd been terrorized by the chicks, and were emaciated. I pulled them out immediately, but it was too late for the girl - she passed away a couple days later, and my housemate didn't want a male without a mate. He was pretty attached to her, and distraught over the loss, so I introduced him to Mop and Liza, and let them all sleep in an uncovered tank at the head of my bed. They would hop up on the edges at night, then hop back down in the morning. One of the two times Sindri crowed was when I accidentally covered the tank before going to bed.

He's pretty content sitting on my lap, and loves riding my bike with me ( he'll either sit on my hand, or in my jacket or vest with his head peaking out under my chin - and no worries, he's on leash and harness so he can't fall off and hurt himself ), and is fairly content hiding in my sweatshirt while I walk around and do chores.

As for Sourland...

My whole flock has been treated for Coccidia after a feed store sold me a sick chick, and they've all been on a poultry mutivitamin. The colour of comb and wattles I've noticed to be fairly uniform among younger chickens, and that it only really gets red after full maturity - when it gets red prior, and they're outside, that's usually stress-related. He's had a pale comb and wattles since my housemate brought him home from the auction.

His behavior also says sick bird to me. His tail is so dirty because he is letting it hang - indication of a sick bird. I have some seramas that are very low to the ground and the rooster has a nice tail. He is never ever dirty. The poofing up is also an idication of some kind of illness or being cold.

Definately a rooster but is not dominate, so that is why he isn't crowing.

deffinatly a little cockerel, and sorry to say i agree with the posts saying he looks sickly. Also agreed that non-dominant roosters will not crow, which is probably why he is mostly mute. I have Japanese who are housed in a nice little coop with a 5X10 dirt run (muddy when it rains etc) and have never seen one anywhere near as dirty as your little guy. My rooster holds his tail up high and it is never dirty, they only get dirt on their wing bottoms and bellys, and prefer to spend their time in the coop if the weather is anything but perfect. I do not think they make very good free range birds as they are just so tiny and easily soiled.

Have you checked him for mites and lice? I have found due to their tiny stature and dragging on the ground they accumulate parasites MUCH more easily than other breeds (and I have around 10 breeds), so this is something I have to keep a constant and vigilant watch on, also since they are so small and possess such a small ammount of blood I would think mites taxing their blood supply would make them sick quite quickly.

another thing that comes to mind, I have seen my dominant roosters "mate" the non dominant roosters, which could attribue to how dirty he is if there is a "head rooster" mating with him to show him his place.

Hmm... There were four other young males in there with him, though all but one has since been rehomed ( I rescue, rehabilitate, and rehome chickens; albeit, most of the rehabilitation I do is in the form of treating wounds and behavioural issues - I am not so experienced with illness at this point ). There is one left, and he's been getting a little plucky lately, so yes, that is a possibility as to why he was so dirty for this particular shoot. I have not observed any lice on him, but there were two Silkies in really poor condition that went through my home. I practised infection control and isolation with them, but as we know, that's not always perfect. He's been acting the way he is since before then, though - he's acted the way he does now from day one. I thought it was just all the hustle-and-bustle of the auction, of new people taking him home, a new place to live, and so forth, but his behaviour has never really "branched out"... until he met Mop and Liza, but even then he's fairly reserved... I'm guessing if he has anything, he's had it for awhile.

However, a person I know who used to be a Japanese breeder tells me that his personality is pretty typical of Japanese that are bred true.

I shall be extra vigilant looking for lice on him, though, and adding some immune boosters and probiotics to his diet... I do agree, it is odd and rather uncharacteristic for a chicken to carry a tail so low. However, I had three Rhode Island boys that were much more naturally dominant, and after working with them and conveying dominance over them ( and making sure they KNEW they were safe, well provided for, and treated well ), they tended to carry their tails low. Kind of like a dog, really - high tail is a dominant dog that doesn't respect the human as dominant; low tail is calm and submissive - generally, at least.

He definitely looks sick to me also. I have WHITE birds that dustbathe in mud that look clean almost instantaneously somehow. If they looked dirty I'd think they were sick. Not sure how they do that, maybe it's a leghorn thing.
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom