Looks like baby chick cannot poop

milkiewiczj

In the Brooder
5 Years
May 20, 2014
This is my first time raising chicks. The chicks are now a week old. One of the chicks is a bit smaller than the others and keeps to herself a bit. I noticed there is a big clump of poop on her behind and looks like she is trying to go but may be constipated?? Is there anything I can do? Has this happened before to anyone? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Sounds like paste butt. Soak poop to soften it to get it off. Don't just pull it as it can pull the skin off. Make sure you get her vent cleared. If she can't poop she will die.

I have removed the poop. Now just some is smeared in the hair but not in the way. All the other chicks have hair on the butts and look normal. This chick with the paste butt is all red. Not fur like the other chicks. Looks like red is sticking out and keeps convulsing like she has to poop. Will that go away if no poop is in the way?

Apple cider vinegar with the mother.(Bragg's vinegar)or any vinegar with mother.mix a tablespoon per gallon of water.this is suppose to help with pasty but.food lion in the organic section carries it a number of grocery stores carry it.hopes this helps.keep check on the pasty but.on a daily basis.

Back
Top Bottom