Looks like hard boiled egg yolk...IN HER EAR!?!?

wbruder17

Songster
9 Years
Jun 7, 2010
Portland, OR
As I was cleaning mud balls off of my birchen cochins feet today, I noticed her ears had a substance that looked like the yolk of a hard boiled egg. I brushed at them, and clumps of the stuff came out, but the ears still seem filled with it.

What the heck is this and what do I need to do?
idunno.gif
hu.gif

Last edited:
Bird "pus" is what it sounds like. I had mycoplasma g. in my flock and they would get lumps of that stuff in the corners of their eyes and in the top part of their beak. If I cleaned it out, most of them never developed it again, but a few had it bad. I thought maybe it was a secondary fungal infection and tried to treat the bad ones, but ended up culling them. When I did a few autopsies, I found that stuff all through their head. One other thing to consider is that fowl pox forms pockets of that stuff and it occurs inside the mouth, etc. I managed to get that at the same time as the Myco., but at least pox is easy to control. If I were you, I would check eyes, ears, throat for any other signs of the pus-stuff. I wish I could be more help!

also a while back a poster named Bleenie had a couple of her ducks with ear infections, might contact them and see what they use to clear it up.. hope for the best out come!

What do you mean found it all through her head? Like you cut her open and that stuff was in her brain?

She seems just fine otherwise. Active, eating, drinking etc. It did not seem to bother her when I was messing around with the stuff either.

Does anyone else have any ideas/ suggestions about this issue? Id really like to get more feedback, if possible.

Not in his brain, but in the upper part of his beak, and around the eyes. I don't know if a chicken's ear is connected to their sinuses like ours, but that was the only thing that I could think of that made sense. I hope you can find out what it is.

Back
Top Bottom