Looks Like I'm Getting a Goose!

Thanks for the tips guys! Although I'm getting nervous - I keep reading these posts this time of year where people are talking about their aggressive ganders and how they chase people, etc. Maybe I'll change my order to two females? It's not that I'm afraid of getting chased by a gander (my aunt has some really horrible ones that are aggressive to people all year round so I'm used to that) - I don't want my other birds injured.
I won't forget pics! Do you maybe have a picture of the water thing? I'm having a hard time picturing what you're talking about, sorry
hide.gif

41679_duklingwaterer.jpg
this was setup for ducklings but will work for gosling too,

Neat! Does it keep the splashing down? I think I read somewhere that someone does something similar with half gallon milk jugs, but I can't remember where I saw that.

Well, they should be getting here tomorrow morning! I'm going crazy waiting for them, lol. I'm gathering all the brooder things together since I'll be keeping them separate from the chicks, which are tiny bantams.

Well, they should be getting here tomorrow morning! I'm going crazy waiting for them, lol. I'm gathering all the brooder things together since I'll be keeping them separate from the chicks, which are tiny bantams.
Good idea on keeping them separate, looking forward to seein pics of the cuties..
pop.gif
it's hard to wait isn't it.
wink.png

Well, they came, but my straight run gosling was dead when I opened the box :( I'm sure this has something to do with the fact that they didn't hold the box at my post office and instead shoved it in my mailbox. So here I was expecting a call all day and the poor things were in my mailbox freezing. I don't even know what kind of person would hear a box peeping and think it okay to leave it out in the freezing cold.

Well, the female is doing well at least and she's snuggled up with me now.

Did you call your Post Office before shipment and tell the to expect live birds in and to hold them for you? This is what I do all the time. Plus I would let them know that the person who delivered the live birds just shoved them in your mail box. Which is a NO NO.

[COLOR=2F4F4F]Did you call your Post Office before shipment and tell the to expect live birds in and to hold them for you? This is what I do all the time. Plus I would let them know that the person who delivered the live birds just shoved them in your mail box. Which is a NO NO.[/COLOR]

I did let them know a week ahead of time. This is the third time I've gotten mail order chicks and this is the first time this happened. They were peeping like crazy when I got them so I KNOW the postal carrier must have heard them. Why they didn't just take them back to the post office and call me I have no idea. I haven't been able to call them yet, so I'll have to do it tomorrow while they're open.

I've just realized I have a dilemma. Because her gosling friend died, she has no friends. She seems fine with this at the moment, and I'm cuddling her and such, but it's not good for her. To top it off I have to go on vacation next week and she WAS just going to stay home with her friend. I have a friend who's coming over to care of the poultry and he'd have been looking after her for me. Now, she might have to come WITH me because I'm hesitant to leave her alone for a whole week. And because I'm going on vacation next week, I can't have them ship me another gosling for her. I'm really very frustrated right now. If the post office had just paid attention, I'm certain the other gosling would have survived. Anyway, what's the best solution here? Take her with me (very doable, but potentially stressful for her) or put her in with the chicks, which she will be WAY bigger than and may inadvertently injure? Or just leave her alone (my least favorite option)?

Back
Top Bottom