Looks like I'm in the market for new chicks...sigh.

SeaisforChicken

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 15, 2011
Pacific Beach, WA
So... Things were going really well! Until last week.

One of our chicks' beaks became over grown and even after attempting to trim it and feed her by hand she became very skinny. She would wreck the feed and waterer and run around crazy and frustrated she could not eat. We made the fair decision to cull.

Now, the 5 ladies are out in their coop at about 8 or 9 weeks old and seem to love the opportunity to run around in grass. BUT it seems like over night my lovely EE Pidgeon grew a giant black beard, saddle feathers and red shoulders. WHAT!? A COCKERAL!? NOOOOO!? I know that a beard is a pullet/cockeral feature in EE's, but it just seems like another masculine insult added to injury. ACK.

I am trying to stay positive and hope that, since s/he doesn't have a red comb, isn't crowing, and because s/he is so darn cool looking (black and white partridge. pics later) maybe s/he'll just be a tricky EE and won't have to be sent away.

So now, I'm looking for new pullets or hens. Should I wait for next year's chicks? Anyone know poultry farmers on the WA Peninsula? Commiserate? I know I've really not had too many issues, but it just seemed like everything was going so well.

You could try posting on the Washingtonians thread.

The only people I know, on the coast, that might, are Illia in Forks or Chickielady in Raymond. Chicken Rustler in Ethel might know might know more.

Imp

I'll try that. We just moved out to Pacific Beach a few months ago and I see tons of "small farms" everywhere, but can't figure out where to purchase any of the goods/livestock from anyone. Maybe that comes with time. Hopefully haha

Back
Top Bottom