losing all of them? please advise! chicks eyes black- stop eating

maf2008

Songster
12 Years
Feb 19, 2009
3 week old chicks now in brooder temp is 85 degrees fresh water/ feed medicated starter...

So weather last week was hot and I put the chicks in the outdoor coop at night for 3 days no problem then it rained....... and weather dropped to 78 degrees and I lost some of them.... I found some huddled and dead after a rain and I brought in other chicks.... they are all JUST FINE for 2 weeks and suddenly just stop eating, hang head and die with empty croop.

Other chicks are running around fine. What am I doing wrong now???? HELP
hit.gif
WHAT CAN I DO TO SAVE THE OTHERS?

When you say outdoor coop, can you describe this a little better. Were they inside out of the rain or were they in the rain? How many chicks did you have? Were there other chicks in this outdoor coop? Is it new or old? What does their poop look like? In chicks this old, cocci comes to mind. Hope we can figure this out for you. sorry for your losses.

Chicks were inside the coop..... it was dry and warm and then 3 days later a huge rain and a few were smothered.. The others were cold muddy and wet...So I brought the rest of the chicks in and put in the brooder... Then they start dying one by one...
hit.gif

They stand in the corner... eyes and wings droopy.. stop eating and next day or two are dead!
hu.gif

Is this contagious? I have them in a pen in my barn and they are warm and dry now? What should I do? Are any going to live? Will this affect the whole flock and should I put them all down? clean the brooder for next batch? I do have antibotic powder and maybe will this work?

Quote:

It sounds to me they got chilled and wet and thats why they are dying. One of the quickest ways to lose chicks is to let them get chilled and wet. Sorry ..

Is this contagious? Should I keep from the others in the outdoor flock? Do these chicks need to be put down before it spreads?
hit.gif

Quote:

I just pm'ed you a homemade remedy. Until you can get a medication specific to Cocci.

All your babies need to be treated for Cocci. No need to put them down, just do your best to save them.

Everyone's set up is different. If you can bring them in, off your soil, it will help. Keep their shavings nice and clean! Keep them warm.

Read all you can on cocci....but sweetie, it sure is a hard lesson to learn.

Do they have bloody poop? Thats the major sign of cocci..i didnt see you mention that...

Thanks... I hate to see them die... I got all of them as many as possible and dipped the beaks in ACD and water. They did not like it... some are worse off than others. Do you add ACD to ALL water for chicks anyway? it seems like a good preventave.

I can add the ones that live to my flock in about 2 weeks when feathered? REALLY thanks for the help! PLEASE SEND GOOD VIBES TO MY CHICKS!
fl.gif

Quote:

Back
Top Bottom