Losing Balance + lethargic

SilkieCanada

Songster
8 Years
Mar 22, 2011
calgary
I just noticed one of my silkies looks sleepy all the time. Squinty eyes. Tired. She still walks around and eats. But sometimes she loses balance a little and needs to use her wing to catch herself from tipping. What are these symptoms of? It has been raining lots lately.

how old is she? give her some electrolyte solution in her water, it seems to really help them out. I have read here that silkies are prone to vitamin deficiencies and need these extra vitamins in there diet, it may help her out. of course make sure nothing external is going on like bugs, to hot ect...

I agree with the above and will also add its possibly a vitamin defeciency.

You can try Poly-vi-sol with NO iron (available at drugstores and target, wal-mart, etc). Or if youre by a feed store, Nutri-Drench can help

Good luck.

I give poly vi sol to my baby chicks so Ill add it to hers too. Thanks guys, Im glad I dont have a fatal disease sounds like more people are leaning towards a simpler problem. Can it be an ear infection from all the rain we had?

Last edited by a moderator:
What do the inside of her ears look like? If there is wax, it would indicate a possible respiratory issue. If there's goopy white stuff, it could be a possibly be a bacterial infection. Little black specs like 'pepper' would indicate mites. Greenish discharge could be fungal. Indications would be visual discharge, head shaking and scratching the ears, possible imbalance as you stated. Treatment is fairly simple for the ears only, but if it's related to a respiratory issue, that's a different ballgame.
Use a syringe without a needle or eyedropper and fill the ears with hydrogen peroxide undiluted. The ears will bubble which is ok. Clean ears as best as you can with a Q-tip something that will soak up the debris and hydogen peroxide. Next, pack both ears with neosporin...dont force it in, just let fill the ears til full and leave it alone. You might have to repeat this procedure one more time, but that should be it.
If it's mites, use an eyedropper with vegetable oil in it and put a few drops in each ear...it will suffocate the mites.

Alright, Ive been giving her poly vi sol. So she stopped losing her balance. But still acts lethargic. She isnt laying. I put my finger up her vent, found no egg. She responds to food, water and stuff. But mainly is fluffed up, ruffled and looks like she is well..... smoking pot. Eyes look like that too, a little bit tired and droopy. No nasal discharge or runny eyes. Im considering starting her on sulfadrugs maybe its a bacterial infection but I really dont know. Im just lost.....

Back
Top Bottom