Losing my baby chickens

Mother hen 119

Chirping
Oct 18, 2017
Millington, MD
I got 10 baby chicks about a week ago. Since then I have lost five of them. I do not know why I am losing my baby chicks I thought it was the mother killing them so I took her out of the pen that had the babies in it. I put a heat lamp in there to keep them warm and I found another one dead. Can anyone help me before I lose anymore I don't know why my perfectly healthy chickens are dying

Have you checked the chicks for pasty butt?
Did you buy day old chicks and put them in with the hen or did she hatch them herself?
Have you checked the temp under your heat lamp?
Do you have a cool area in the brooder where they can go if the heat lamp is too hot for them? Put the water in the cooler area of the brooder so it doesn't heat up.

Can you post a picture of the setup?
What are they eating?
Do they protection from the weather?
Have they shown any signs of sickness (Sneezing excessively, nasal discharge, crusty or gunky eyes, blood in poop?)
Could they have worms?
Do you see any mite/lice in their feathers?

I'm sorry that your chicks have been dying, hopefully we can get to the bottom of this. Have you put the mother hen back in with them? It will be better if she's there to keep them warm and safe, they'll be upset without her.

Yes, were these baby chicks that you put in with a strange hen to mother them? Did they come from a hatchery in the mail, a feed store, or a breeder? An adult hen will kill baby chicks unless she has been sitting on eggs, and you have slipped day old chicks under her. Even then, it is a gamble. Are they getting out from under the hen and getting cold? Please give mire details if you can. So sorry for your loss.

I think I spelled that right. They could also have Mareks or another chick disease. Have you put electoylotes in the water? They may possibly have worms as well if they’re outside in rain or on the ground.

Did you buy day old chicks and put them in with the hen or did she hatch them herself?
Do you have a cool area in the brooder where they can go if the heat lamp is too hot for them? Put the water in the cooler area of the brooder so it doesn't heat up.

yes I have checked their bottoms their bottoms or clean. Poop poop looks normal. And yes I have a area where they could go if the area with heat lamp was too hot

Can you post a picture of the setup?
What are they eating?
Do they protection from the weather?
Have they shown any signs of sickness (Sneezing excessively, nasal discharge, crusty or gunky eyes, blood in poop?)
Could they have worms?
Do you see any mite/lice in their feathers?

I'm sorry that your chicks have been dying, hopefully we can get to the bottom of this. Have you put the mother hen back in with them? It will be better if she's there to keep them warm and safe, they'll be upset without her.
I had them outside in a chicken coop. Yes they had protection from the weather. They have not shown any signs of sickness running around playing drinking eating just like normal baby chicks

Back
Top Bottom