Losing new ducklings (help)

šŸ˜¢Well another duckling is fading. This one has the same lethargy as the one I tried to save, but it also has pronounced nasal congestion. I gave it a couple swims in a bowl of warm water and it managed to remove a ton of mucous, but it still sounds congested and looks to be breathing hard.
It's hard to tell from the picture, but the ducklings heads almost seem bigger than the holes in the containers. Can they fully dunk their heads?

Well, I lost the little poorly one overnight. It seemed to just sit there and breathe heavily and didn't eat or drink until it passed. I'm hopeful that this was aspergillosis and not something more contagious.

Pl
Well, I lost the little poorly one overnight. It seemed to just sit there and breathe heavily and didn't eat or drink until it passed. I'm hopeful that this was aspergillosis and not something more contagious.
How would it be aspergillosis? http://www.duckdvm.com/condition/aspergillosis

I think that if that is the case, maybe you should rethink your brooder set up. I'm not sure using a blanket for the substrate is recommended. It could promote too wet of an environment.
As well, those ducklings need to be able to stick their whole head in those containers. Their whole head means including their eyes and ears to rinse everything.
Their water should be changed out multiple times during the day. They need access to fresh clean water with no additives. If giving probiotics and/or electrolytes, that should be offered in a separate water container.
Sorry to hear about your losses. I hope you get this sorted out.
The brooder plate might be too low for them at this stage as well and they might not be staying warm enough when needed.

Pl

How would it be aspergillosis? http://www.duckdvm.com/condition/aspergillosis

I think that if that is the case, maybe you should rethink your brooder set up. I'm not sure using a blanket for the substrate is recommended. It could promote too wet of an environment.
As well, those ducklings need to be able to stick their whole head in those containers. Their whole head means including their eyes and ears to rinse everything.
Their water should be changed out multiple times during the day. They need access to fresh clean water with no additives. If giving probiotics and/or electrolytes, that should be offered in a separate water container.
Sorry to hear about your losses. I hope you get this sorted out.
The brooder plate might be too low for them at this stage as well and they might not be staying warm enough when needed.
That's a good question. The only thing I can think of is that the kiddie pool they're in was outside and had some leaf litter in it? I sprayed it out real well but didn't bleach it. It also doesn't explain the first two deaths because they were in a smaller plastic bin for their first 24hrs. I just hope it's not some highly contagious respiratory disease like anatipestifer.

The towels were suggested by a university of California extension document, which states "The best ā€œbeddingā€ for the first few days is an old bath towel or piece of cloth such as old Tee shirt. Good footing
when they are small helps their legs to develop more properly". I change them every 12 hours and they aren't ever very wet but I might change to straw after their first week.

I went ahead and made some larger holes yesterday, and added a heat lamp. I will raise their brooder plate today.

Thanks very much for your suggestions. Everyone is looking good... Right now.

It's hard to tell from the picture, but the ducklings heads almost seem bigger than the holes in the containers. Can they fully dunk their heads?
Good eye!

@Shtinkypuppie, can you try doing a waterer like this? It's just a normal quart size with a lid under it (can also use plastic plates).
1630859940208.png

That's a good question. The only thing I can think of is that the kiddie pool they're in was outside and had some leaf litter in it? I sprayed it out real well but didn't bleach it. It also doesn't explain the first two deaths because they were in a smaller plastic bin for their first 24hrs. I just hope it's not some highly contagious respiratory disease like anatipestifer.

The towels were suggested by a university of California extension document, which states "The best ā€œbeddingā€ for the first few days is an old bath towel or piece of cloth such as old Tee shirt. Good footing
when they are small helps their legs to develop more properly". I change them every 12 hours and they aren't ever very wet but I might change to straw after their first week.

I went ahead and made some larger holes yesterday, and added a heat lamp. I will raise their brooder plate today.

Thanks very much for your suggestions. Everyone is looking good... Right now.
I put some shelf liner under the shavings for the 1st week or so, but after that it's not really needed. It's to help prevent splay leg and slipping and sliding. I really think one of the biggest issues is that the water isn't set up properly.
I used plastic containers similar to yours but the holes need to be bigger. I placed the containers on an old cookie sheet to help prevent spillage. It's still going to still happen of course. Also, with the feed, I did the same, sat the feed dish on top of a shallow container which caught spillage and they could still eat it instead of it being wasted.

For the record, I've added more heat and increased the size of their waterer again... Photo attached. Thanks everyone for the suggestions, everyone seems healthy, fingers crossed.

Attachments

• 20210905_152547.jpg
    20210905_152547.jpg
    556.9 KB · Views: 9

Back
Top Bottom