Loss of balance and hot feet

Dyanknasinski

In the Brooder
Sep 20, 2019
New Berlin, WI
I have an Americauna chick, I received her as an adoptee because of being picked on, so we think she is about 10 weeks. She came to us not able to walk well and missing all the feathers on her back 3 weeks ago. She has progressed amazingly and was walking/running/jumping/perching. The last couple of nights as she has jumped on my shoulder her feet felt really hot. I just attributed it to being hot out. Now today she cannot keep her balance. No jumping/perching. She is eating/drinking and pooping normal. I put vitamins in her water but is there anything I should do to try and treat fever or anything else I can do? She is super sweet and I would like to do anything I can to help her. We do not have a local vet that sees chickens

Chicken's temp is higher than ours so her feet would feel warm. Try some electrolytes & vitamins, check her for any injuries. What do you mean she "can't keep her balance"? Can you post a video? (post to You Tube, then attach) Is she walking and falling? What are you feeding? Is she the only chicken you have? Pictures would help.

Chickens can run very high body temperatures—103-107 is within normal range. Do her legs look normal as she stands? Pictures from the front or back might be helpful. And a video could help as well. Do you know if she was vaccinated for Mareks, or if she had any problems with slipped tendons or other issues? Vitamin B complex for humans is very good to use— 1/4 to 1/2 tablet daily crushed into food or water can supply riboflavin and otber B vitamins.

I can’t figure out how to post a video. She has been isolated in the garage since we got her. We have 3 other hens. Just outdoors partially at the same time. She hasn’t had any blood tests. She was walking on the top of her foot when we got her but improved just a few days after getting rest and quiet. She was walking/running perfectly yesterday.

We also ended up taking her to the emergency vet, they said they could see chickens. They were not concerned with fever. Said could have hit her stomach or head or caused soft tissue damage. We are going home with anti-inflammatory meds and crate rest.

I hope she’s feeling better soon. I’ve never seen that kind of walk before. I was gonna suggest checking that she hadn’t gotten her upper legs tangled in something. It kinda looks like shes trying to walk with her shoelaces tied together!! Poor lil lady.

I hope she’s feeling better soon. I’ve never seen that kind of walk before. I was gonna suggest checking that she hadn’t gotten her upper legs tangled in something. It kinda looks like shes trying to walk with her shoelaces tied together!! Poor lil lady.
Thank you. Just odd cause yesterday she was zooming normally everywhere

An injury then is most likely. And now she’s walking funny to protect herself. If that’s what it is chickens heal really well. Quiet time with good feed and water and hopefully she’s on the mend. I had a girl attacked by her flock mates about 10 days ago. Brutal beat down. She basically lost her eye. She’s back out with them again. So so resilient. Fingers and toes crossed for your little one.

Thank you. So far it seems to be worse. But she is still eating/drinking/pooping normal just absolutely no balance. Have her crated and I have been holding her a lot. Brought her out to sit in grass for fresh air.

Back
Top Bottom