1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

LOSS OF PLUMAGE

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by beautifulbirds, Nov 10, 2008.

1. beautifulbirds

beautifulbirds Chillin' With My Peeps

I have a black bantam orpington hen, currently in lay, who has lost a lot of her body and back feathers. Is this a mite or lice problem or is it a nutrition problem. I have dusted her and wormed her, what else should I be doing? Any thoughts, comments etc., greatly appreciated. Thanks very much.

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Is she moulting perhaps?

3. Colored Egg Farmer

Colored Egg Farmer Chicken overload

It says your from New Zealand right? What is the weather been like and light times? Do they have any artificial light

4. DTchickens

DTchickens Overrun With Chickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    feather loss problems-Roosters that are rough, or over breed the hens, Lice/mites (this also causes the birds to get weak, and sickly), never heard of worms causing feather loss. but i suppose its possible, molting, and occasionally.. Stress

-Daniel

5. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

My guess is it is an annual moult or roo damage since it's end of season so to say. Unless you see bugs, or have a fecal sample testing positive for worms, you probably don't have to treat for anything and will just have to wait.

6. beautifulbirds

Hi there, thanks very much for your replies. We are officially in Spring time here, the weather is actually ideal at this time of year; not too hot and not too cold. She started out with whispy fluff at the base of her tail (which I have noted with another hen and a rooster) and I didn't take too much notice and then suddenly no back feathers and when I lifted her off the roost to check more thoroughly she is missing a LOT of body and back feathers, so I was concerned and wondering if it is an infestation or food issue. I do not feed pellets or mash. I feed good wholesome food, and they free range every day with fresh water. Tonight they will get rice, greens and fish. They have free choice corn and wheat, oyster grit and I am wondering if there is anything else I should be doing? Just sprayed their roost again.

7. beautifulbirds

No artificial light, I try to keep things as natural as possible. Not a big bunch of hens, all friendly (in the main) and there doesn't seem to be any squabbling etc., plenty of food.

8. Colored Egg Farmer

Since its spring that usually rules out a molt. It is probably bugs but have you seen any other chicken picking on it and pulling out feathers?

Last edited: Nov 10, 2008
  9. beautifulbirds

Do you mean pulling out their own feathers or picking the orpington's out?

10. Colored Egg Farmer

It could be both. My chickens usually go right for the back tail feathers mostly but I have seen them peck at the neck sides.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by