Lost 2 hens to similar symptoms. Looking for advice

That is the correct dosage 5 mg per 5 pounds twice a day. The medicine is 100 ml per 1 ml, so 0.05 ml is the dosage. I would draw that up, and then draw up a little bit (maybe 1/4 to 1/2 ml) of water to make sure all comes out of the syringe when you give it to her.

If anyone sees an error, gladly speak up. @casportpony @Wyorp Rock ?

Yes, I am sorry—enrofloxacin is Baytril. Dosage for a chicken is 10 mg per kg (each 2.2 pounds) given twice a day for 5 days. So close to 5 mg orally twice a day. Each ml of that product is 100mg, so 5 mg is 0.05 ml, so you will need a 1 ml syringe, to give 1/2 of 1/10 th of an ml. Does that make sense? @casportpony, does that sound right?

@Eggcessive & @Wyorp Rock!!! She's still hanging in, but I can see she's still feeling terrible... but I'm SO glad I just tracked the package of Baytrill - and it is out for delivery right now!!! So I can start her on it as soon as it comes...

So... I re-read the dosage again that you wrote above... (maybe I shouldn't have switched to decaf)... but I'm just double checking that I DO understand this correctly...
I have a 1ml needless syringe... and I'll give her two doses... each will be HALF... of .1 each dose... it's just a little, tiny bit... in the morning & at night? like this? This would be .05 ml... (as in the photo) 2x...? Am I configuring this correctly? View attachment 1644596

That is the correct dosage 5 mg per 5 pounds twice a day. The medicine is 100 ml per 1 ml, so 0.05 ml is the dosage. I would draw that up, and then draw up a little bit (maybe 1/4 to 1/2 ml) of water to make sure all comes out of the syringe when you give it to her.

If anyone sees an error, gladly speak up. @casportpony @Wyorp Rock ?
:barnie:barnie
@casportpony !!! LOL

I'm sure Kim is right, but I'm coming up with something else - ya'll know me and my math skilz:oops:

The formula for this is weight of bird in pounds, divide by 2.2, times desired dose (in this case it's 10 mg/kg), divide by number of ml per one ml (this drug is 100 mg per one ml).

Example for a 3.5 pound bird:
3.5 / 2.2 x 10 / 100 = ~0.16 ml

Does that help?

Ah, okay, for five pounds it's:
5 / 2.2 x 10 / 100 = ~0.23 ml twice a day. Don't worry too much about it being exactly 0.23 ml, just go ahead and give 0.25 ml twice day.

Last edited:
:barnie:barnie
@casportpony !!! LOL

I'm sure Kim is right, but I'm coming up with something else - ya'll know me and my math skilz:oops:
The formula for this is weight of bird in pounds, divide by 2.2, times desired dose (in this case it's 10 mg/kg), divide by number of ml per one ml (this drug is 100 mg per one ml).

Example for a 3.5 pound bird:
3.5 / 2.2 x 10 / 100 = ~0.16 ml

Does that help?
Well that is why I asked because my math is the worst. So a 5 pound bird should receive about 5 mg per pound or 25 mg twice per day. Would that be 0.25 mg twice a day?

Back
Top Bottom