Lost 4 chickens today. In shock.

silverback

Songster
12 Years
Oct 18, 2010
Two loose Rottweilers broke through my fenced area today and killed 4 hens and severely wounded 2 others. I think one will die tonight but the other might make it. Put hydrogen peroxide on the open wounds. I am very upset. I saw the last part of the massacre as they lashed into my dear hens. One of them was "Red" my champion hen - 11 years old and in perfect health and laying eggs. I am distraught. Neighbors caught the dogs and they are impounded - no tags or collars. My husband's father just died and he is out of the country dealing with that. Very bad day.

The two survivors are now dead. One was euthanized and the other had surgery but died shortly after I brought her home. So now there is only one hen left of the flock - Pepper - who is desperately lonely. I am not ready to think about more hens right now. Any advise for Pepper's well being all alone is welcome. She was pretty traumatized Wednesday but yesterday she actually laid an egg so that is a good sign. Thank you all for condolences. Tough week. Animal control identified the owner of the dogs and they are returned to him with a citation. It is now up to me if I want to file a civil suit. Very unsure what to do.

Wrong time and too much grief and stress to I make a decision now honey. You have all summer to decide about more chickens.
My mother bear says go get 'em. But that doesn't heal your heart. Any neighbors have chickens maybe you they spare a buddy for survivor. I'm so glad you ended up with one hen.
Might be too soon for this story but I had a dear elderly woman I know in country have a dog attack, neighbors got word and she ended up with a bigger flock than the original one.

Back
Top Bottom