Lost 6 babies today. Feeling pretty heartbroken

A heat gradient is what you want to strive for - a warm end and a cold end. Feed and water should preferably go on the cooler end so they have to venture out for it.
That's a good idea, maybe they'll be less inclined to get in the water then. How they survived as a species is beyond me but im determined to get this right

You are having really bad luck. I wonder how they survived too. Little chicks always get into big trouble.

Pardon the bad quality, I just snapped a quick pic before I cleaned the brooder.
View attachment 2885261
These chicks are 2 weeks and 1-2 days old, my suspicion is that the real cause of death was mostly improper feed, and the heat loss sped things up. At 2 weeks they should basically be fully feathered other than the head. My suspicion is that although it’s always good to be diligent about bulbs and backups etc, once you get proper feed I bet your chicks will be strong and healthy and won’t be as accident prone. It’s a shame someone gave you bad info, but 2 weeks old with just primaries and all still alive until the heat went is really a tribute to the rest of your care being very good.
Awww, they look adorable. Definitely agree with you, the only one I had that looked like yours was the one who survived the night without heat but then offed herself in the water the next morning. Which thinking about it based on comments above about the rocks in the water getting warm, that was def my fault. Id put her/him into a smaller plastic reptile container and put it inside the bigger brooder with the chicken chicks but under the lamp area so she stayed warm but so she had some form of company through the clear plastic (she'd perked up when id put her into my brinsea whilst i popped out for more bulbs so figured she needed to stay warm for a bit longer), I'm assuming the rocks were lovely and warm and she fell asleep with her face in. That makes me really sad but a lesson learned to keep water away from source of heat.

I know, im half a mind to message him as it was crap advice, i dont know why i took it at face value. I figured as he bred them he knew what was or wasnt ok. Again another lesson, always back up what you hear with your own research to be sure. I'm sourcing game chick feed/quail feed with a higher protein content and buying dried mealworm for when old enough for abit extra protein and ill continue to change bedding daily as I have been doing. Another thing I've noticed with Chicken and Quail alike is the amount of times I need to change the water throughout the day as they cover it with bedding, its a good job im still working from home 😕 Thank you, thats a comfort. Def mistakes on my part but i'm learning

You are having really bad luck. I wonder how they survived too. Little chicks always get into big trouble.
Oh for sure, how they survive in the wild is beyond me. May be easier to raise lemmings at this point 😅 The bulb thing was an unfortunate event and ive been lucky with the chickens up to this point as its never happened before. I always use new bulbs with each batch so figured it'd be the same for quail but I've taken the advice on here onboard and going to try things differently on the next batch to mitigate any risks and hopefully i'll have some happy healthy quail reach adulthood soon🤞

Just received a batch of eggs this morning and they have mites crawling all over them :he not sure how to kill them off before putting in my incubator...dont want the silly little things to be infested with mites the moment they hatch. bloodyjoy!

I wonder if the mites will just crawl off, if you give them a chance?

Maybe sit the egs out on something like a towel, then in a few hours move them to a different towel and discard the first one. Repeat if needed.

If the mites behave like most other little bugs, they would crawl off the eggs to hide underneath the eggs, and burrow into the texture of the towel. This would be more likely if they are in a lit room, and if there is space between the eggs.

(If the mites do crawl off to hide in a towel, you could throw the towel away in a plastic bag, or you could probably kill the mites by laundering it in hot water. I'm sure you could kill the mites by boiling the towel in a pan of water, although that is probably more bother than it is worth.)

I always use new bulbs with each batch so figured it'd be the same for quail
I've only done chickens, but I have never bothered with new bulbs for a new batch of chicks. As long as the bulb lights up and makes heat, I'm happy to keep using it, but I do keep a spare bulb on hand at all times. I can typically raise multiple batches of chicks with one bulb before it goes out. (Winter: two bulbs, two spares.)

Oh for sure, how they survive in the wild is beyond me. May be easier to raise lemmings at this point 😅 The bulb thing was an unfortunate event and ive been lucky with the chickens up to this point as its never happened before. I always use new bulbs with each batch so figured it'd be the same for quail but I've taken the advice on here onboard and going to try things differently on the next batch to mitigate any risks and hopefully i'll have some happy healthy quail reach adulthood soon🤞
I’m sure you will!

Back
Top Bottom