Lost a chick just not sure which

wvchickmom

Hatching
Apr 21, 2017
Recently lost a two week old chick I was devastated as I still dont know what happened she wasnt acting ill and seemed fine until I went into the brooder and she was gone. She had no visible peck marks or broken skin so dont think she was attacked so i just dont know. To add to it i am not sure if she was a barred rock, cukoo marans or dominique as they all look the same at that age to my untrained eye and I had purchased all 3. Is there any way short of waiting for the other two to get there combs to find out which she was. I will say of the two I have left one is much more black than the other with only the slightest white on the wings. I will try to attach a pic of the other two living chicks that i am having the confusion with.

The bottom one is a dominique (it has a rose comb).

To tell if the other chick is a barred rock or a cuckoo marans, check the leg color. Barred rocks have yellow legs. Cuckoo marans should have white legs. Of course this is assuming the place you got them from is breeding to proper standards. Oftentimes hatcheries don't.

The bottom one is a dominique (it has a rose comb).

To tell if the other chick is a barred rock or a cuckoo marans, check the leg color. Barred rocks have yellow legs. Cuckoo marans should have white legs. Of course this is assuming the place you got them from is breeding to proper standards. Oftentimes hatcheries don't.
x2

the one in the top picture has a black wash down her legs that is lightening as she gets older. does that help in determining at all

i got these ones from meyers hatchery they are npip ( i thinks thats the right anagram) does that mean they are good? i am attaching a better pic of the one chick still in question.

Back
Top Bottom